Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Baseboard measurement from concrete floor...

Old 04-08-09, 09:08 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I took everyones advice and am having the baseboards installed in the basement before the pad and berber carpet is installed. The carpenter is going a half in drywall pieces)

I was looking in the one room and the baseboard looked higher in the one area than the other, from the wall. I thought maybe my eyes were 'tricking' me. Well I took the measuring tape and it looks like the one section, to the left, is actually 3 forths and as I go down to the right it is half inch. I think the floor might not be level? If this is off like this, will I have a problem when they install the pad and berber carpet? Will there be a slight gap from the on area?

Old 04-08-09, 10:57 PM
G
Measure the pad, carpet, and any sub-material to be installed. Follow the floor, unless you will be adding a leveling agent, then follow the floor, consistently. Be safe, GBR

Old 04-09-09, 05:15 AM
D
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Measure the pad, carpet, and any sub-material to be installed. Follow the floor, unless you will be adding a leveling agent, then follow the floor, consistently. Be safe, GBR
No leveling agent that I know of... Just the carpet padding and carpet which is a low pile berber, not too thick.

Should I mention this to the carpenter that is putting up the baseboard. Should I be concerned? Is there anything the carpet installer can do to make sure there isn't any gap (place the pad under the baseboard or extra paddinng in that or those areas where it is a little higher.

Old 04-09-09, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
They should trowel on floor leveller. And they should be told about this in advance since they likely did not bargain for that, might not have floor leveller with them when they come, and it will slow them down if they are the ones that have to do it.

Old 04-09-09, 08:55 AM
D
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
They should trowel on floor leveller. And they should be told about this in advance since they likely did not bargain for that, might not have floor leveller with them when they come, and it will slow them down if they are the ones that have to do it.
Well from what they know now, no baseboards were going to be up. Was going to bring this up to them when they arrived. They did not want the baseboards up before they installed the carpet but with everyones advice, I am having them installed prior.

Should I bring this up to the person installing the baseboards? Can he do anything now since they are nailed? he still has a few more rooms to do.

Old 04-09-09, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
Baseboard goes on straight. When the floor has dips, the dips get filled in, period.

You mention the carpet layers didn't want the base on. This is not an issue, it is standard to have the base on, so don't let them tell you otherwise. They just want a shortcut so it goes faster. Don't be surprised if they make a few knicks here and there, however. that's to be expected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: