new tile and floor molding

Old 06-23-09, 07:23 PM
new tile and floor molding

I recently replace my carpet with tile and pulled all the existing molding off the floor/wall prior to installation of the new tile. I have started replacing the molding and the floor is not level in all areas where the mold needs to go. I have as much as a 1/2 gap between the floor and bottom of the molding. Any suggestions on how to fill that gap or get the molding to "bend" to the floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Your baseboard will look much better if you scribe the bottom of the baseboard to the floor. This means you will trim the bottom edge of the baseboard to match the waviness of the floor. Any gaps should be neatly caulked with color matched caulking.

Another option is to install baseshoe against the baseboard to cover the gap, but you almost never see baseshoe on tile because it usually looks ugly... with little gaps at every grout line.

Old 06-25-09, 05:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As XSleeper said. Don't bend the base to meet the floor. It must remain level. Either scribe and cut it, or install shoe molding. Base will flex with the wall, while shoe will flex with the floor.