Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Finishing Knocked Out Wall

IA

07-14-09, 01:53 PM   #1  
Finishing Knocked Out Wall

Hi everybody!
My husband and I tore out a wall between our kitchen and living room

but now we have the problem of covering the gap where the wall once was. We plan to do sticky tile flooring for now to save $$, but we're wondering what to do about the raw area that is now exposed plaster.

here's a before photo

and after. from the dining room

We've since painted the cabinets white.
I'm contemplating using salvaged lumber for the trim but I really have no idea what to look for. We have a salvage barn, but I wouldn't know what to ask for when I go in.

Any ideas and suggestions would be much appreciated.

The home was built in 46 and has a good bit of character. Lots of wood around the rest of the house, as you can see in the before photo.

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

07-14-09, 02:23 PM   #2  
Well, since all your jambs appear to be stained, I'd use 1 x 6 and stain it to match then case it with the same type you have around the doors.

Its either that or sheetrock, corner bead and mud..then paint to match the walls. If you plan on keeping the wood trim..use the stained wood..if you plan on painting the trim in the future..then rock it up.

Just a DIY opinion..no Pro. Personally..I like wood.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-15-09, 04:08 AM   #3  
What do plan to do with the electrical?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

IA

07-15-09, 06:44 AM   #4  
thanks Gunguy, that's about what we'd thought.
Mark, these are old photos. The electrical has already been pulled out entirely and the lines rerouted.
Anybody have any experience with salvaged materials on a project like this?

07-15-09, 06:51 AM   #5  
Just treat it as a large door opening. Use either poplar or pine for the trim and take the time to match the profile of the existing wood trim in the house as well as the stain color. I'm sure it's not, but you might want to check to see if that is/was a load bearing wall.

IA

07-15-09, 07:39 AM   #6  
Posted By: timber-indy Just treat it as a large door opening. Use either poplar or pine for the trim and take the time to match the profile of the existing wood trim in the house as well as the stain color. I'm sure it's not, but you might want to check to see if that is/was a load bearing wall.

Thanks timber, we will treat it that way.
I had a contractor confirm it wasn't load bearing before we tore it down ourselves.

I was thinking of something like the trim in this photo which is salvaged, but am not sure of the extra challenges I suspect it poses.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-15-09, 01:30 PM   #7  
From what I see on the original door, there was fluted molding with rosettes and plinth blocks. Close?? I would go back with a 1x6, trimmed to 4 9/16" and case the opening and use the fluted molding, rosettes and plinth blocks back in the same location.

Search this Thread