Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

pics of my crown: what gaps should be filled in?

Old 08-23-09, 10:32 AM

Or am i being to fussy and it's fine how it is?

In every pic there's a gap either on top or bottom and I just am wondering if you would fill it in with caulk? It's obvious the walls and ceiling arent perfect, but who's are lol

no im not done filling in the nails yet nor correcting the caulk/painting 'mistakes'

and i still have 1/2 to hang and there's gonna be a really big gap on top on one piece because of the ceiling but that will be next weekends project. I've numbered the pics to make it easier for your reference and some pics do have multiple 'trouble spots' as well so keep your eyes open. And some pics were taken close up and far away so you get a good POV

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-09, 10:34 AM

Old 08-23-09, 01:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Looks nice!

I always caulk every joint, all along the ceiling and the wall. I usually caulk everything first then paint the ceiling, then the crown and the wall last. Less touch up that way

Old 08-24-09, 06:55 AM
thanks

is the caulking 'everything' appropriate for even my larger gaps? Especially on top i'm torn. What i put up so far is a relatively consistent gap but part of me thinks you shouldnt be able to see any space above the crown. But then i worry if i do start to caulk that it wont look 'right'

and i'm guessing if i caulk then dont like it that it's not fun to remove either otherwise i dont mind doing it to see if it looks right or not

i think the caulking underneath is a no brainer since when you look from the sides you can see the gaps.

Old 08-24-09, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always caulk it all..... before applying any finish paint. Some areas don't need much caulk and others can take quite a bit. Sometimes the majority of the caulk [next to wall/ceiling] might get painted with the wall color. It varies depending on the situation - whatever works and looks best.