Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

building a box beam or coffered ceiling

Old 08-30-09, 07:50 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am going to build a box beam ceiling in my old 1910 house and wanted to hear advice from anyone with experience doing this. After setting up my line laser to check how bad the ceiling is I discovered that it sags up to 2 1/2" in areas. I plan on screwing steel studs to the sides of the old studs to a level laser line, this will give me a flat and level ceiling to work from (the lathe and plaster has been removed). I'll hang new sheet rock and be ready to lay out my box beams.

So now I need advice on the best way to layout, build and attach the system so it is secure and safe.

thanks

Old 08-31-09, 05:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
By "coffered" ceiling are you referring to a trey type ceiling? I have built them after the fact and it isn't really difficult, just tedious, as you have to build offset or lazy "L's" to attach to your studs and joists (or blocking if necessary). I used nailing plates at the intersection of the "L's" for rigidity, and tied them all together with 2x4's along the bottom edge so I would have something to attach my sheetrock to.
I don't see why steel studs wouldn't work just as well, and probably better since you can split them and attach to the studs, and make precise bends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: