painted vs natural woodwork

Old 09-19-09, 02:50 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painted vs natural woodwork

I have a large 47 year-old brick tri-level that has all natural wood flooring (golden oak), and the original luaun (sp?) doors and closet doors are close in color to the floors.
The house has recently been extensively remodeled, but still has a lot of that mid-century feel (wet plaster, coved ceilings, brick fireplaces, etc).
My question is, in order to brighten up the place for possible sale, should I paint the woodwork white and replace the doors and closet doors with inexpensive white six-panel doors, such as the ones Home Depot sells el-cheapo, or would that maybe detract from the character of the house? I'm okay with it the way it is, but I'm wondering what a typical prospective buyer might want.

Old 09-19-09, 04:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That's a question that might be better answered by your realator. Personally I like natural/stained wood and would think twice before painting it - it's kind of hard to change your mind later If the woodwork is in rough shape, it might be easier to fix it up with paint.

If you do decide to paint - there are steps and primers we can recomend to insure a good job.

Old 09-21-09, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
But, if the doors are hollow core, now, replacing them with 6 panel doors will add a lot of character to the room. I don't paint, so I'll let Marksr keep you on track on that one.

Old 09-21-09, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Plenty of houses have painted 6 panel (or whatever style fits) doors and stained trim...
I personally like the look..but as said..depends on the condition of the wood. Some older trim can't be found or duplicated cheaply. Though I guess 47 isn't really that old..

Old 09-21-09, 05:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have to replicate moldings on older homes quite a lot. It is tedious, but rewarding once you see the results. Face it, you can't go buy 10" tall base molding with decorative cap (different from modern caps).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: