Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

access panels

TX

09-30-09, 03:41 PM   #1  
access panels

DIY, any ideas on how I can cover my breaker box on a wall. I have made the garage a room and want to cover the box , but still have access anytime say a breaker throws. my wall is drywall . Also, my attic access w/ ladder I need an idea on covering it up, but allowing access when I need up in it, I can take the folding ladder out if necessary and just use a normal ladder whenever I need to get up there, but I plan on not using the attic very much at all anymore, just when there is electrical or ac work or whatever I need up there.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-01-09, 02:51 AM   #2  
Many use a cabinet door and frame to cover the breaker box. Not sure why you would want to hide the pull down attic door. Does it have casing around the perimeter? Is it painted to match the ceiling?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

TX

10-04-09, 06:11 AM   #3  
access panel reply

Ok, thanks on that idea of cabinet, not sure i will do that, but the attic pull down does have trim around it and is painted to match c eiling, but just thought it looks a little unsightly for a new garage remodeled man's room! Yeah!! Any other info. please let me know.

Group Moderator

NE

10-04-09, 12:29 PM   #4  
In some states it may be illegal to cover a breaker box in any way. Other places will allow a cover that is not permanent (does not require tools to remove). Other places will not allow anything flammable over the lid of the breaker box. So you might want to check with a local authority if you wanted to be sure.

VA

10-04-09, 02:11 PM   #5  
There are prefab plastic access panel kits made primarily for plumbing access that might work.They wouldn't look like drywall or wood but I believe are paintable.

Search this Thread