Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

what kind of trim can i use with my 1x4's? refer to pics inside

Old 10-19-09, 12:22 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

what kind of trim can i use on the inside edges of the 1x4's in the top pic to create the finished product in the second pic, WithOut having to rout any edges on the 1x4's themselves?...top pic isn't me, just one i found that's exactly what im looking for.

is there a name for the trim im trying to find?...looks like somewhat of a stepdown type trim.

Old 10-19-09, 03:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I think what you are looking for is 'base cap' The carpenters ought to be by afterwhile and I'm sure they will have more info for you

Old 10-19-09, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Either base cap or cove molding for a simple design.

Old 10-19-09, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Base cap is probably what you're looking for. If you wanted simple, you could also use 1/2" quarter round, as another suggestion. If you want more detail, 3/4" panel moulding would be nice... (if you want some illustrations, check out KD2111 on pg 16 in this catalog. I use that moulding a lot.)

You might be able to find something similar at a millwork supplier in your area. (but it's probably not a big box item)

Old 10-20-09, 07:27 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check out BC-160 in this link: Base Cap Moulding :: Architectural Moulding Profiles :: Tilo Industries

looks like what i want...it doesn't have any "bubbled" out part on the front, and looks to just butt up squarely to the 1x4. if i can get away w/o having to router the edges of the 1x4 itself, i DEF want to.

Old 11-06-09, 06:37 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I know you said that you didn't want to route the edges but IMHO you should reconsider. Any molding that you get will have to be mitered on each corner. In addition to the molding you still need to but the 1x4 this will cost quite a bit for an average size room.Take a look at MLCS's wainscoting video and the bit that they sell to do the job. You'll get a better looking wall and it will be a lot easier in the end.

MLCS Router Bits and Woodworking Products

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: