Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing quarter round, what size nails to use?

02-10-10, 12:53 PM   #1  
installing quarter round, what size nails to use?

Guys I'm going to be installing quarter round molding that is 11/16" in size. I need to know what size nails I should use to mount these if i do it by hand? I also would like to buy one of those cheap electric nail guns to do the job but dont know what nails/ brad nails it needs to take.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

02-10-10, 01:22 PM   #2  
The electric job will never work.

Nailing sideways into the base molding, you'll probably need to predrill and use about a #4 finish nail. Sink the heads after nailing and touch up the holes with putty or a crayon stick.

You might be able to use a #3...but thats pretty small.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

TX

02-10-10, 02:17 PM   #3  
I refer casing to finish. The slightly larger diameter makes them less likely to bend IMHO. If the walls "bounce" to save frustration as Gunguy45 suggests pre drill. I just cut the head off one of the nails and chuck it in the drill as a bit. Just be careful not to touch it because it gets very hot.

Sears may still sell a nail spinner. It is a device that chucks in the drill and spins the nail about two thirds of the way in. Basically it friction grips the nail enough to spin it then you just pull it off and finish driving the nail in.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

NY

02-12-10, 07:27 AM   #4  
If you're thinking about an electric nailer then think the next step and get an air set up. You'll find plenty of things to use it for once you have it. An 18 gauge with 1 1/2" brads would be just fine for what you want to do. When you need to do bigger things like trim invest in a 16 gauge. Once you have one you'll wonder how you ever lived with out it.

Search this Thread