Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Crown Moulding - Sloped Ceiling - Outside Corner

Old 02-13-10, 03:25 PM

Hi All, I'm installing crown moulding (38/52) and there's one area I cant figure out. I need help.

Basement staircase. It's where a sloped cieling (42 degrees) meets a horizontal ceiling at a 90 degree outside corner. I've been to several DIY sites (and watched videos) adressing vaulted cielings (and where they meet at an inside corner). Seems I should be using similar cuts, just opposite, but I cant get it to work.

I couldnt get pictures to post here...but here's a link to a DIY site .... DIY Crown Molding & Trim | Extreme How To, DIY - Do it Yourself, Home Improvement, Home Decorating ...scroll down to figure 16. I have the exact same scenario except (the D cut) for me is an outside corner (not an inside as shown in the picture).

How do I cut the transition piece?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-10, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Good question... let me think on that a while. There has got to be a solution. Gary Katz uses a pendant, but that's on a cathedral corner.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-13-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 07:34 PM
Thanks Xsleeper

The Gary Katz link was helpful. I'm thinking, if he hasnt sorted it out, it might not be possible? Worst case, I can make a pendant.

But i'm not giving up yet.

Seems ot me that the left side cut of the transition piece should be the same as a vaulted cieling cut (at the peak). And, the right side of the transition piece is a regular 90 degree outside cut. But i cant get that to work. Im either not cutting it right or my assumptions are wrong.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Old 02-14-10, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
If I am picturing your ceiling angle correctly, (something like the illustration in corner 2/3 this link?) you will never get them to meet, because if you hold the crown in position on the stairway ceiling at the correct spring angle, and draw a line on the bottom... Do the same thing on the flat ceiling that is around the corner... the bottom lines will not match up. If I am picturing this correctly, the bottom edge of the crown on your staircase ceiling will extend lower on the wall than the piece that sits against the flat ceiling around the corner.

As long as both pieces sit on the wall at their correct spring angle, you will probably not be able to miter or make a transition to fill that gap... which is why Gary Katz would suggest that it's not possible.

The only way you have a chance to make it work is if you roll both pieces (altering their spring angle) of crown until the bottoms do line up. This would mean you would have to start your crown layout from this corner. (if the rest of the crown is already up, some would need to be torn down for this to work).

What I'm thinking is that the crown on the stairway ceiling would need to be rolled up the wall... moving the bottom edge up, and the crown on the flat ceiling around the corner would need to be rolled down, moving the bottom edge down, until the bottom corners of the crown meet. (this will make the flat edges of the crown out of level and out of plumb, but it is what it will take to make a transition piece that will match both pieces) You're adjusting the spring angle at which the two pieces sit on the wall, which also changes the way you have to hold them on the miter saw. (hopefully you are cutting these pieces in position- upside down and backwards, and can figure out the correct angle to hold them on the saw by making reference points on the wall and ceiling, measuring to those marks, transfer them to the saw in order to make your cuts.) You'd make a mark on the ceiling to represent the top edge of the crown, which will help you figure out the point at which they meet. If I was doing it, it would help me to extend those marks on the ceiling and draw a square corner on the ceiling to help me visualize this point. Your corner miter will be one half of your transition piece, the other half of your transition piece should be much easier- it will simply bisect the angle of your staircase ceiling, which should be approximately 21 degree bevel on each piece. The trick is simply finding the correct spring angle to position (and cut) each piece.

I don't believe I've ever had the pleasure of doing this myself, so having never done it, it's a little hard to picture and explain. LOL I'll have to mess around with that when I have some free time at work.

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-14-10 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-14-10, 12:36 PM
You Got It

Hi XSleeper....

See next post. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-14-10, 12:39 PM
You Got It

Hi XSleeper....

You are spot on. When placed at the correct spring angle; The ceiling side crown sits lower.

There is no crown in the area - yet, so I may try to adjust the spring angle to match them up...but will probably go the route of the pendant instead.

As for the link - The 2 & 3 corners in the link are exactly the same as my situation - except that the starting point of my cieling slope is aligned with the outside corner. In the link, the cieling slope begins a few inches past the outside corner.

Seems like what I'm trying to do is not possible using a transition piece.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-14-10, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by dmrmoulding View Post
the starting point of my ceiling slope is aligned with the outside corner.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was picturing, the ceiling pitch heading downhill exactly at the corner, but I wasn't sure if that was what you had or not.

Good luck with it, whichever way you decide to go!