Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Chair rail over paneling install question

Old 03-05-10, 02:15 PM

I bought some paneling that is about 1/8" thick from Menards that mimics white beadboad/wainscoting. It's made of dark brown material that seems similar to MDF. It comes in roughly 3'x4' sheets. The chair rail molding that I bought is the flat back type. When installing chair rail molding of this kind atop the paneling, do you butt the bottom edge of the molding to the top edge of the paneling or do you overlap the two? I know they make molding that has a lip on the back for this overlap but I cannot find anything local unfortunately. I'm stuck with Menards and Lowes, which both sell only the flat back type. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-10, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your chair rail molding choice was incorrect. There is a same design chair molding with a rabbet cut out of the back that will sit over your wainscotting and also sit flat to the wall above. Check in the same area where you bought the original when you take it back. I know big blue carries it. You may have to look for it.

Old 03-05-10, 06:28 PM
I just found some at the local lumber yard. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-09-10, 04:53 PM
can you install chair rail fat side down?

Old 03-09-10, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the forums! Some chair rail is installed fat side down, but generally if it has a flat surface on the fat side, it will be installed up, tapering down to the wainscotting.
Which profile are you talking about?

Old 03-10-10, 06:55 AM
Thanks!! I actually do not have wainscotting up - my fiance and I just installed chair rail in our town home and we did it a little higher than average height, almost 38 inches from the floor. We tested the first piece fat side up and it did not catch the back sides of the furniture and we really did not like the way it looked. We decided to install it fat side down to please our eye, and to save our walls We have struggled to find any answers about whether or not its considered "wrong" to hang it fat side down. This was the only post about chair rail I could find and struck out with my other posts about it. Thank you for responding!!

Old 03-10-10, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
June, if its ur house, then ur opinion is really the only one that matters, everyone else can go jump in a lake. (not you chandler. LOL) And yes, it is upside down. But it would only bug a trim carpenter, so don't invite any over for lunch unless you want to get chastised. LOL

If it makes you feel any better, I was in a bank the other day. The crown moulding in their board room was upside down. In the rest of the building it was installed correctly. I doubt anyone who works there has ever noticed.

Old 03-11-10, 03:22 AM
Do you do that, too??? Whenever I go into a fine restaurant, bank, church, etc. I always look at the trim and get ideas, or critique it. I guess cobblers look at your shoes, so I figure it's OK.

Old 03-11-10, 04:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife wife catches me looking around the room most everywhere we go and says no else would care what the paint job looks like or how the trim was used [or misused ]

It's hard enough to make a bad trim job look good but a bad paint job can make quality wood workmanship look bad

Old 03-11-10, 07:04 AM
Haha thanks all! Since we didn't install it accidentially upside down, we knew that is what we were doing, and it looks better to our eyes, I guess it should be okay. Hopefully I will not have any trim carpenters in the house any time soon!

Old 03-11-10, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you hear that Larry? guess we aren't invited to dinner

Old 03-11-10, 03:28 PM
With all the free advice, and no dinner???!!! I'll just go help someone else, then.