Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > Replacing baseboards, asking for your opinions and design suggestions.

Replacing baseboards, asking for your opinions and design suggestions.

Old 03-06-10, 12:05 PM
Replacing baseboards, asking for your opinions and design suggestions.

My home was built in 1972 therefore has dark stained pine baseboards that are a one piece base and shoe design about 2.5" wide. I have looked and cannot find an exact replacement, the newer ones are a different width.

I recently had a maple hardwood floor installed in my kitchen and dining room which adjoins the livingroom. My home is a slpit entry, therefore the livingroom and dining share the same straight wall. Since teh project my baseboards are missing in the kitchen and up to where the diningroom and livingroom meet. One problem is that the original baseboard sits lower than a baseboard can sit on top of the 3/4" wood floor, which brings up the options.

Option 1, replace all the baseboards including the livingroom and the main hallway. They are kind of tattered anyway being pine.

Option 2: transition in the middle of the livingroom/diningroom creating a junction of two different baseboards. I would also have to transition where the doorway to the kitchen meets the hallway.

Also, would you go with pine again or a hardwood? Would you go with a 2.5" baseboard or something wider? All of my doors are still stained doors, would you stay with a stained baseboard or painted? Would you now pick a new height based on the height of the hardwood floor and carry that out thruout the area?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
One piece base and shoe? Thats something I've never seen...base and cap yes..but not shoe.

What about the door frames and casing...also stained?

Old 03-06-10, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure the base and shoe just appears to be one piece.

If you intend to keep the doors, casing and window trim as is, I'd get pine base and stain it to match. I'd go for option #1, #2 would just look tacky, although I suppose you could do it piece meal - new base where needed and then replace the rest later.

Personally I like tall base but really whatever tickles your fancy [and wallet] will work. I wouldn't paint the base unless I was intending to paint the rest of the woodwork also.

Old 03-07-10, 06:49 AM
I'm probably calling it base and shoe when it is actually called something else. I know that it's one piece because I have removed some already. A better description would be a flat board slanted and rounded on the top with a piece of quarter round sticking out the bottom. I'm not a woodworker...can you tell..LOL?

My doors, door trim, and window casings are all stained. I was thinking stained too. The current baseboard is stained pretty dark but the stain used hides most of the grain. I have stained other woods to try and match but the grain always showed thru too much to match.

My wife... or should I say the "Project Manager" wants taller baseboard, which I think is more in tune with the current standard.

Old 03-07-10, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stain the new base best you can and then the poly. If it is still not dark enough or too much grain showing - coat with a tinted poly like minwax's polyshades.

Search this Thread