asbestos behind paneling?

Old 03-12-10, 03:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
asbestos behind paneling?

So I'm in search of some information on asbestos. I was in the process of doing some paneling on my staircase. The house was built in 1930 and it's a brick bungalow.

The paneling is a locking kind. It looked old. Looked like real wood, not some kind of manufactured stuff. The paneling is installed right over the concrete foundation. Anyway, when I pulled off the old trim at the bottom of it to install new paneling over it, this powdery stuff fell from behind it. It was soft, kind of damp feeling. It felt kind of like a talc powder or something. Smelled kind of musty. Needless to say I wasn't expecting it and had no mask on (stupid I know). I quickly packed the power back against the concrete and put my paneling on top of it. My question is, what is that stuff. Is it possible it was asbestos or something containing asbestos? I have no idea when it was installed, but there is some old wainscoting on the other side of the stairs, so I assume they would have installed them both at the same time. The rest of the basement was finished a couple years ago before we bought the house, but the stairway was left alone.

Last edited by tobex; 03-12-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 02:23 AM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asbestos would be wrapped around heat pipes. Look around with a flash light to see if any pipes look like they have gray "padding" around them. This would be asbestos.

DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE the fallen material.

Look in your phone book for ASBESTOS REMOVAL. If its not listed, look under FIRE, SMOKE and WATER DAMAGE. These type companies should know a certified asbestos removal company.

This is highly regulated and can not be done yourself.
Old 03-14-10, 07:20 AM
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,344
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Asbestos is found in many other products then just pipe wrap. It has been found in a product called vermiculite that was used as a loose fill insulation. If you think what you have is vermiculite, you should have it tested to find out if there is asbestos in it.

Poke around this site a bit too all the different things asbestos can be in. Asbestos Visual Identification in Buildings: How to find recognize, and identify asbestos or asbestos-containing materials in buildings by visual inspection methods - text about and photos of asbestos containing building products

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: