Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall Paneling and Door Way Trim

SC

05-20-10, 05:33 PM   #1  
Wall Paneling and Door Way Trim

I have 70's wall paneling in the den which one panel has been damaged by termites. I know there is drywall behind the paneling because I took some off that was in the kitchen area that they put half way up the wall. I can't find any paneling to match since everything now is paper over mdf. The door way trim is installed over the paneling. I had french doors installed with the paneling on the wall and of course that trim is over the paneling as well. I think I can deal with the glue and repairing the drywall, but have no idea how removing the paneling and putting the trim back up will work? The paneling is about 1/4" I've spent hours looking on the internet and everyone always has glue questions, no trim questions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

PA

05-20-10, 06:29 PM   #2  
It's not as daunting as you think. First there is NO way that the paneling is 1/4". If it's 1/8" I'd be surprised even, but not an issue at this point.

For the trim, just take it off the door way. Use s small wonder bar from the out side prying it loose very gently. Then from the jamb side being sure not to damage it.

If it has been caulked be sure to take a utility knife to the caulk before tearing it off the wall so you don't damage the trim.

Once the trim is removed take the paneling off. Replacing the trim is easy peasy. just nail back up. The reveal should be the same as the original and the difference in depth shouldn't be much of a difference.

Now, if you do damage the trim, or even wish to use new, you can do so. just rip the old stuff off, measure for new trim and replace using a mitre saw to make your 45's.

Once installed, caulk the seams on the inside and outside and your done.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-21-10, 04:26 AM   #3  
Some of the older paneling is 1/4" or 3/16" thick. If you are trying to reuse the woodwork you might take a punch and drive the nails thru the trim. Depending on how well it was nailed that might make it easier to save the trim.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

05-21-10, 05:24 AM   #4  
Much of that 70's plywood was 1/4". So it's possible that you have a 1/4" extension jamb nailed onto the window/door jamb behind your casing. If so, you'd just remove the 1/4" extension and reuse the casing.

I'm not sure if you would have glue behind your paneling or not. Glue only became necessary with the wimpy thin sheets we have nowadays.

PA

05-21-10, 09:26 AM   #5  
WOW! Am I that young! HAWESOME!

SC

05-23-10, 02:50 PM   #6  
Thanks

I don't remember them doing adding anything like that when they put the french doors in. I appreciate all thoughts. Thanks much. I'll post how it turns out.

Search this Thread