Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Should chair rail be level OR even?

IL

06-21-10, 02:42 PM   #1  
Should chair rail be level OR even?

I just painted vertical stripes on the bottom third of our nursery. I am going to hang chair rail where the bottom third and top 2/3 meet, however, I am unsure of something.

I measered up from the floor in all corners of the room and made a mark on the wall. When I turned on the self-leveling laser level, the marks do not line up. This means I am either going to get a level chair rail that isn't equidistant from the floor all the way around the room OR I get a chair rail that is equidistant from the floor all the way around the room but isn't perfectly level.

Which should it be? My first inclination is to be even before being level since in this case, being level might just make it look unlevel.

Help or advise is appreciated!

Sponsored Links

NC

06-21-10, 03:06 PM   #2  
The third possibility is the laser level is off.....and if there is a HUGE, noticable variation in the 'measure from floor' marks, and marbles don't tend to run to one corner of the room ( ahahahaha ), then I'd be suspecting the quality of the tool.

I'd tend to go with the measurement from the floor and foget level UNLESS you have something like a wallpaper above/below that is going to call a lot of attention to the 'out of level'.....

IL

06-21-10, 05:27 PM   #3  
That is a good point about the tool. I am going to go with the measurements from the floor and roll with the punches. I am just dealing with paint on each side of the chair rail, so nothing is going to call too much attenton to it; especially if I dont use the laser since that is what seems to be "off"

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-22-10, 05:02 PM   #4  
Don't bet the farm on the laser being off. Is it a rotating laser or a PLS? Have you measured from the ceiling down to your mark? I'd do that as well. Lay a level on your floor to see if it is level as well.

Search this Thread