sagging floors


Old 12-05-00, 04:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I live in a 70 year old home single story no basement the floors are sagging have one place in the house that the floor has sagged from the wall at least 3 inches its the wall between two bedrooms useing 2x4 under a dresser and bed to make them somewhat level. The floors are hardwood.Only way under the house is to pull up the flooring.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-00, 05:38 AM
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,074

There must be some way to get under the floor other then pulling the floor. The access may have been covered over during a remodel at one time. What would you do for a plumbing problem? You may just have to cut a trap door in the floor if you can't find any access.
You absolutely need to get under there and do some jacking, before you lose the whole framing.
You may find original blueprints of your house at the courthouse. It would show the access door. But that is a longshot unless it was required to submit plans before building back then.
Old 12-05-00, 12:41 PM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,140
It sounds to me as if at least one and maybe two floor joists are gone. Thats how they act. Yes, jacking and some replacement work need to be done and this is really not a DIY project. You will probably have to have an access door cut into your foundation. Contact a local carpenter or contractor. Not a big job if you have the right tools. A monster job if you do not. Good Luck

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes