Wall covering options

Old 08-03-10, 01:57 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall covering options

Okay, we're buying a house that needs major work. It was built in 1917, so I'm getting certification so I can work with lead based paint construction - I'm considering removing all interior walls so I can put in insulation the house doesn't have and replaced uneven and cracked walls which are due to the foundation (or lack thereof). I don't have time or money to get a foundation done this year, at least not unless it was the only thing I was doing which isn't the case.

So, what are my options - preferably low-cost. I'm thinking my options are luan or drywall left unfinished, maybe a drop tile ceiling as an alternate to drywall. I know long-term I'll put in drywall, but for now I want something to quickly close out the walls... And that things are going to be settling a lot between now and after when the foundation gets done.

I think what I'm after here is whether it's crazy to be thinking luan for a temporary bandaid...

Old 08-04-10, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
I'd go with the drywall. I don't know what your foundation issues are but with luan you'd be replacing it all down the road [unless you change your mind about drywall] and with drywall you might have to replace or repair some after the foundation work but I'd expect the majority of it to be ok. Last I checked, a sheet of 1/2" drywall was cheaper than than a sheet of 1/4" luan.

Old 08-04-10, 05:03 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Speaking in general, having not specifically read though the local codes for this yet, in the process of trying to search around I've gathered that fire code in some locales require drywall, meaning I'm inferring that I may be less fire resistant with luan.

I think I've kinda talked myself into drywall anyway, and if I want to avoid some taping (I know taping would be the less expensive way to go, but I'd rather get all the dusty work done faster so we can get moved in) I could just cheat and cover the joint between the top and bottom row with chair rail molding.

The foundation is a whole other issue. When I viewed the house, I somehow believed there was a foundation when I looked in the crawlspace. It turns out I just saw the back of the fake stone facia, when the inspector looked. He explained what the problems of how sagging floors have been handled by jamming more stacks of cinder blocks in some places which resulted in floor crowning, what I need to do is support 4x4's running perpindicular to the joists... He said there will be creaking and cracking as the house settles...

The way I look at it, even if the house is beyond help, the price I'm getting it for is worth it for the land. I know I'll really have to do my homework on the foundation issue, but the first priorities are the roof to stop moisture intrusion and the hazardous material concerns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: