Best caulk for trim / nail holes

Old 08-10-10, 07:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Best caulk for trim / nail holes

I have issues with excessive shrinkage of caulk. It is especially frustrating on nail holes. You apply the caulk, remove the excess and it looks perfect. You come back the next day and the nail holes show again as the caulk has shrinked significantly.

I have been using a dynaflex caulk but need to try something else (with lower shrinkage). I have also tried an acrylic caulk before but found it difficult to work with because of the fast dry time.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Old 08-10-10, 07:59 PM
E
Originally Posted by tymon
I have issues with excessive shrinkage of caulk. It is especially frustrating on nail holes. You apply the caulk, remove the excess and it looks perfect. You come back the next day and the nail holes show again as the caulk has shrinked significantly.

I have been using a dynaflex caulk but need to try something else (with lower shrinkage). I have also tried an acrylic caulk before but found it difficult to work with because of the fast dry time.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.
I use the AlexPlus white paintable caulk.

Old 08-11-10, 02:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Alex plus for caulking. Nails holes aren't caulking. Use Window glazing compound. It doesn't shrink. However, I am delving into an area not my expertise. Marksr will chime in when he wakes up.

Old 08-11-10, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use alex plus - it's one of the cheaper latex caulks and has performance that coincides with the price

Caulking is only for where 2 pieces of wood [or most any material] meet. It should never be used to fill nail holes on interior woodwork. Painter's putty is for filling nail holes, window glazing will also work. I prefer to use SWP's 66 Glazing because it's not as oily as most painter's putty and I only need to stock 1 can on the truck instead of 2

The correct way to putty nail holes is to push the putty in the hole with a twisting motion and then go across it with a putty knife to smooth it out. I usually use my thumb instead of a putty knife - it's quicker

Old 08-11-10, 07:07 PM
T
Thanks for the tips.

Follow-up question: how long do you wait after applying the glaze before priming/painting?

Old 08-12-10, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
You can paint over putty or glazing almost immediately but it might bleed thru latex paint. 4 hrs or so usually works well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: