Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Crown moulding, corner blocks, lots of corners

Old 08-13-10, 06:08 PM

We have removed the wall between a dining room and kitchen and now have a huge expanse of ceiling. I'm doing crown moulding and have used the decorative corner blocks in a couple of other rooms and like how they look. However, this space has two floor-to-ceiling three-sided sections that jut out. These alone add an additional 8 corner blocks to what would otherwise be one large rectangle requiring four corner blocks. To make it even worse, there is a small chase within one corner. This adds another three corner blocks (there would be 14 overall). I have a few questions:

- This is a lot of corner blocks! Does it need to be an all-or-nothing ordeal (blocks in every single outside and inside corner vs. none at all with mitered corners instead)? Or is there some flexibility to put the blocks in some places and not others (e.g., blocks only in inside corners and outside corners can be mitered)?

- A couple of these protruding areas don't have much length to them, so I'd have either an inside corner very near an outside corner (chase=10 inches) or two outside corners very near each other (pantry=16 inches). Outside corner blocks are particularly bulky and this seems like it would look funny to have them so near each other. Again, is there some flexibility with where I use corner blocks vs. not or is it all-or-nothing? How is crown moulding typically done in spaces that have multiple chase-like structures that introduce many corners?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-10, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
The only reason to use corner blocks is if you can't transition the crown on a cathedral ceiling, where the crown pitches from a flat ceiling to a vaulted one.

Old 08-14-10, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with XSleeper. Today's compound miter saws have miter and bevel detents that allow you to cut crown laying flat rather than having to pretend you are a contortionist and do it upside down and backwards as we did years ago.
At the beginning of any crown job (even after doing it for 20 + years) I make mock up inside and outside corner pieces. One to ensure the corners are reasonably square, and two, to make sure my cut guy cuts the right angle when I call for it. I mark them LI, LO, RI, and RO, so he can hold them up to the blade.
In addition, as you have found out, corner blocks can be expensive and obtrusive when too many are used close together.

Old 08-14-10, 01:45 PM
You can do whatever you want with your corner blocks. I can't make a for sure judgment as to how well it would look without actually seeing things, but I think you will be fine to omit some of those corners. Especially since they will around small bump outs. It will be easier to add the blocks in later if you decide you don't like the way it looks than to do it the other way around.