Plastic molding

Old 09-06-10, 09:16 AM
Plastic molding

Good Morning,
I just put down one of those floating hardwood floors, Since there was carpet in the room before this there was no quarter round molding.
I replaced a few of the baseboard moldings with wood ones. But I bought that plastic wood looking quarter round molding.
My question is what is the best way to nail this stuff on? & also what can I use to fill the nail holes like a colored filler?.
See I was thinking of using liquid nails but really don't want to I read on a site to use brads?
I like this stuff but maybe I should of went with real wood & stained it I'm just not familiar with this plastic looking wood.
Any help would be great!
Thank you.
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-10, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Is this the polyurathane foam stuff with the plastic film in a wood pattern (very light) or the composite with the plastic film (heavier than wood).

Foam, I would hand nail using something like #4 finish nails into the base and use a wood filler crayon as close as possible a match.

The composite is pretty hard and I think more difficult to hand nail than regular wood unless you pre-drill. Nail gun would work ok. Crayon again to fill the holes.

Old 09-07-10, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Since you have a floating floor, you will need to brad the shoe molding into the base molding, and not into the floor, so 1 1/2" brads would suffice. I would definitely use a brad nailer, if for nothing else, speed. I don't particularly like the "contact paper" type moldings, but they sell it and there's a market. Stain grade shoe molding can be stained to match almost any wood, and you don't have to use oak, as pine will work just as well. My opinion, no charge.

Old 09-11-10, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Since you have a floating floor, you will need to brad the shoe molding into the base molding, and not into the floor, so 1 1/2" brads would suffice. I would definitely use a brad nailer, if for nothing else, speed. I don't particularly like the "contact paper" type moldings, but they sell it and there's a market. Stain grade shoe molding can be stained to match almost any wood, and you don't have to use oak, as pine will work just as well. My opinion, no charge.
Good Evening,
I want to Thank you both of you for your help & say you are right after buying it I hated it. So I bought some oak got out my router table & made molding stained & polled it & now I love it. I would of loved to have had a nailer but don't & things are very tight but all in all it came out nice.
I'm very sorry to have waisted your time I just thought well truth be told I was lazy but came back to my senses I only wish I had done it before I bought all the other stuff oh well that's me.
Thank you very much.
Will,

Old 09-12-10, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
No problem grumpy...and not a waste of anyones time. Glad you got it done...nothing like making it yourself, right?

I do have to ask...how can you have a router table (and I bet a table saw?) but not even a 2" brad nailer? You can get one that will work fine for a homeowner for prob $50 at Harbor Freight. May not last for years or a huge job..but for our typical use it would be fine. Once you have one, it's pretty tough to go back to hand nailing for most jobs.

Old 09-16-10, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
No problem grumpy...and not a waste of anyones time. Glad you got it done...nothing like making it yourself, right?

I do have to ask...how can you have a router table (and I bet a table saw?) but not even a 2" brad nailer? You can get one that will work fine for a homeowner for prob $50 at Harbor Freight. May not last for years or a huge job..but for our typical use it would be fine. Once you have one, it's pretty tough to go back to hand nailing for most jobs.
Gunguy45
You make a lot of sence just never got around to getting one I guess always used a hammer & a bunch of bent nails. I have heard a lot about Harbor freight & believe there is one somewhere around here I'll have to check it out.
Truth be told I would love to have one that would shoot into concrete as I need to do some work in my garage a guy I use to work with had one that he used here but the thing was like a gun I think it was!. Not sure but dam if I stayed in the basement that day but he was also a carpenter.
Funny thing is I bought a Milwaukee electric impact gun for like lug nuts but more. I thought the thing would never work it works better than my air impact gun w/ no noise! dam things change no I'm just getting old.