Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > Refinish ash paneling with lacquer finish

Refinish ash paneling with lacquer finish

Old 12-11-10, 08:34 PM
Refinish ash paneling with lacquer finish

In 1990 we re-paneled our den with ash veneer and solid ash trim. We white-washed and finished with clear lacquer. We recently removed some built-ins and modified the fireplace. We like the whitewash finish and would like to preserve it. There are several areas which would require blending/matching of the 20 year old finishes with new wood, stain and finish to accomplish this task. Has anyone successfully completed this type of project? I've been told that this is virtually impossible and that our best bet would be to paint the entire den.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

It can be done but it might not be easy

I'm not sure if I've ever worked with ash trim so I'm not familiar with exactly how it responds both to being exposed to light and how it accepts stain. I've not used a lot of lacquer either - generally poly or varnish is the coating normally used in residential applications.

It might be as simple as sanding the affected portion and staining [and finish] those areas. It's also possible that the affected areas would need to be stripped down and refinished. Because of how wood [and finishes] age - the stain might need to be altered some from the original formula.

Search this Thread