painting paneling

Old 12-13-10, 02:53 PM
painting paneling

I am about to begin the project of painting the paneling in a large room in my home. It is not real wood paneling, and I have read a great deal about painting paneling. However, I know that many people are still unsatisfied with the look of the groves if they do not fill them. I do not wish to fill the groves, but I am thinking about the possible benefit/consequences of bringing in a technique that I've been seeing on flat walls where vertical stripes are painted. I like the look (on flat walls) where a color is chosen and painted in flat finish, followed by vertical stripes painted in a glossy finish of the same color. I've never seen this on painted panel walls. The panels are vertical, and I was thinking about painting vertical stripes off-line. That is, painting a stripe centered around the grove in the panel rather than painting different panels in different finishes. I think that the glossy stripes may distract from the groves and give a very cool look. But, they may also highlight the groves and/or give a very strange look. Any insights appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-10, 02:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

You need to start with a good primer since paneling wasn't made for painting. Lightly sand the walls and then use a solvent based primer. Once dry you can apply your choice of paint [latex is fine]

I don't think I've ever seen paneling painted in the method you describe. It would be an unique look. I'd try a small section 1st to see how you like it. Paint the gloss in the grooves 1st. It will be easier to cut the flat to the grooves than it would be to paint the little stripe of gloss keeping it off of the main body of the paneling.

Let us know how it turns out.