Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Help! Trying to remove old trim for wiring and painting!

Old 01-22-11, 04:23 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Ok so im have a super hard time getting this piece of trim off...

I have a pretty old house (1910) and i have one room left that has not been updated for quite some time. Still has plaster and a 3 baseboard trim. Im trying to get the main trim baseboard off without destroying the wall and the trim if possible.

I have the top decorative piece off and the large baseboard pulled back from the wall about 1/2 inch or so. I can see the nails on the top side. I see that there are some nails at the base of the trim, it also looks like the trim goes lower then the surface of the hardwood floor. I have no idea how to get these nail out. especially since they are all the way at the bottom of the trim.

Ive tried prying the trim back in the lower area but since is below the floor a bit it doesnt seem to be budging.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-22-11, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
If the bottom edge of the baseboard is buried beneath the flooring, after you pry the top edge away from the wall you would have to use a reciprocating saw with a long blade to cut the nails holding the baseboard to the wall. I'd suggest you first try a 9" Milwaukee Torch blade. You might have to bend the blade a little bit to make it work.

Old 01-22-11, 05:58 PM
E
Hmm. I was afraid of that. Theres no way to get the nails out of there another way? I honestly dont mind if I have to trash the whole piece i guess its just a piece of wood with several layers of paint on it. I could just purchase a new one and cut it to size. I was able to save the decorative molding that was on top of it.

Anyways

Thanks for your response.

Old 01-22-11, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Don't have a reciprocating saw, I assume?

Well if you don't care about saving the baseboard, you can lay a large block of wood on the wall above the baseboard and when you use your prybar, pry against the block rather than against the plaster. The baseboard will probably crack and split in pieces, but you should be able to save the wall doing it that way. You'll still want to be careful that the block of wood is long enough that it spans a couple of the wall studs. Otherwise the lathe and plaster will want to give way.

Old 02-21-11, 06:42 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
I use a toe kick saw and cut along the bottom flush with the floor, then cut what's left on the ends with my ossilating saw, then remove the whole piece leaving the piece that's below the flooring.
But I'd guess if you do not even have a sawsall with is a remodelers best friend then it's not likly your going to have a Toe kick saw and an ossilating saw.

Old 02-21-11, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Hey, Brant, we could push our luck and suggest a multimaster, but, then again, maybe not
I would pry right at the nail line. That way the board will snap at that point and you should be able to pull the top part off, bend the nails up and pull them out, then pull the bottom piece up and out.

Old 02-23-11, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Ha! Naw, i'd be an old man by the time I got done cutting all that base off with a multimaster! LOL

Wonder if Ethan got that baseboard off. It's been a month?

Old 02-24-11, 06:22 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's nice looking baseboard and probably old growth wood. That cost of replacing with comparable material will probably get you at least a 1/3 of the way to buying a reciprocating saw. Look at the price of the tool before you bust all of that apart. You should also price out a rental and the cost of the trim to replace. I'd hate to see all that nice trim replaced with finger jointed clam shell.

Old 03-24-11, 08:15 AM
P
if you can fit a bolt cutter behind the molding, cut the nails then finish hammering out the piece from the molding after it's off the wall. i had to do this once for some molding. i could only get it so far from the wall before it started to pull wall chunks with it. i clipped the nails to finish getting it off.

Amazon.com: Neiko Super Heavy-Duty 12" Bolt Cutter - Chrome-Molybdenum Blades: Home Improvement

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: