Pry Bar Question

Old 02-01-11, 03:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pry Bar Question

I need to remove a lot of trim and baseboards in my old house. Went to Lowes and saw all types and sizes of pry bars.

Can anyone recommend the best one for the price and what do you usually use and why. Not looking to spend more money than I need. to.

Old 02-01-11, 04:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
If I had to pick just one, I'd use my 'catspaw' I'm not sure what the proper name for it is but basically it's a flat bar with an angle on one end. Removing painted trim can be a bear. You need to cut any caulking or dried paint that will prevent the molding from removing in one piece. Sometimes it's beneficial to take a punch and drive the nails thru the wood.

Old 02-01-11, 05:03 AM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Pry Bar

Use a pry which is as thin as possible. A stiff putty knife will work on small trim. My favorite for this kind of work has a right angle bend on one end about 1/2 in. wide with a slot for removing nails. The other end is curved, very thin, and flared out wider on the end. It is only about 8 in. long. Will try to find a photo.

Old 02-01-11, 05:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Bought one recently at big orange labeled just for trim - worked pretty well

Had to buy one 'cause I had misplaced the keys to the cabinet in which all my bars were locked

Old 02-01-11, 06:34 AM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Whatever bar you settle on be sure to use a putty/taping knife between the bar and the wall. It will keep the bar from damaging the wall.

Old 02-01-11, 11:20 AM
J
Thanks for all the good tips.

Old 02-01-11, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Late to the game here...but I have about 4 or 5 bars and I'm just a DIY guy. I have one wonderbar (bout 14"), and 3 other small ones ranging from about 8" down to a 4" mini. Also have a catspaw and a mini wrecking bar kinda thing that I don't use that much.

The small pry bars work well to get the trim loose, but if they used 2 1/2" finish nails you might need the longer bars to get it off without damage/cracking. Almost always takes at least 2 and some shims or a painters tool to get long lengths off unbroken.

I use a painters 5-1 tool or the big paint sticks to protect the walls...I've bent and dented too many putty knives or taping knives prying against them.

Old 02-01-11, 03:21 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marksr
If I had to pick just one, I'd use my 'catspaw' I'm not sure what the proper name for it is but basically it's a flat bar with an angle on one end. Removing painted trim can be a bear. You need to cut any caulking or dried paint that will prevent the molding from removing in one piece. Sometimes it's beneficial to take a punch and drive the nails thru the wood.
"Cats paw" would be the correct name for this tool: Demo Tools Cats Paw remodeling for geeks They are used to dig down into the wood to grab the nail head.

The tool you suggest is flat bar or wonder bar. Stanley 15 in. Wonder Bar - 55-515K at The Home Depot

Last edited by drooplug; 02-01-11 at 05:59 PM. Reason: posted the same url twice.
Old 02-01-11, 04:10 PM
J
Wonder bar sounds good. Lowes has them for $8

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: