Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting question

NC

03-03-11, 12:28 PM   #1  
Painting question

So I'm about to undertake painting a large area that currently has paneling installed. The actual job of painting the paneling is pretty straight forward but I do have a question I hope someone here can answer.

There are a number of outside corners in this area that have a L-shaped molding installed to cover the joint. These are primarily on bulkheads on the ceiling that cover HVAC and electrical but also along some walls. I want to remove this molding so that the corners are smooth like drywall. What do I use to cover the joint where the two pieces of paneling meet?

Thank you for any insight or help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

03-03-11, 02:00 PM   #2  
Corner bead and joint compound are what's used on drywall but I don't think that will work here - you're just painting the panelling, right?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-03-11, 04:12 PM   #3  
It would be best to leave the outside moldings. If the paneling hasn't been painted before you need to first coat it with a solvent based primer! IMO it's better to just paint the paneling instead of trying to make it look like drywall.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

NC

03-04-11, 05:34 AM   #4  
Yes I'm just painting. We actually are quite happy with the striped appearance that the painted groves provide so I'm not trying to get the paneling to look like drywall so much as I am just trying to get the corners to be less pronounced. The corner molding that covers these outside corners has a thick profile so its visually quite noticeable and I'm just trying to reduce its visual impact. In a perfect world there would be nothing there like the result you get from corner bead and joint compound but I'm afraid that either the compound wont bond well or the moisture in the compound will cause swelling in the paneling.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-04-11, 01:42 PM   #5  
I doubt you can get a corner mold that is any thinner. I suppose you could install a thin strip of wood on each side of the outside corner - making 2 pieces of wood take the place of the 1 molding. I'm not sure that would be worth the effort. I suspect the molding won't look as prominent once it and the paneling are all painted the same.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread