Doorway undercut question

Old 03-09-11, 07:24 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Doorway undercut question

We are slowly restoring our mid-60's house. We ripped up the carpet and refinished the original hardwoods underneath. However the door moulding were undercut at some point. I have tried caulk on some of them but it shrinks in too much and looks terrible. Is there any way to make this look right without replacing the frame and moulding?

Old 03-09-11, 07:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Our paint guy will have better answers, but you may want to try an elastomeric caulk. Scrape out what you have there, buy some 1/4" backer rod, stuff it (split if necessary) into the crack so it won't be esposed, then apply the elastomeric caulk, smoothing it out with a damp (kept clean) sponge. Once it is dry, you could even take your new paint job all the way to the floor and hide most of the caulking.

Old 03-09-11, 08:01 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You can cut thin slices of molding and thin slices of 1X6 to glue in. The 1X6 is for under the jamb and will need to be trimmed to width. You may need to fill in with wood filler behind the strips so they are flush. Over fill with wood filler a bit and press the filler strip in before the wood filler sets up. Use glue on the edges.If the strip is left a bit proud it's ok. It can be sanded after the glue and/or wood filler holding it in place sets up.

Or just use Bondo.

Old 03-09-11, 08:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
If you plan on painting this, you could use wood filler

Old 03-09-11, 08:53 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank you for the answers. yes we just want to fill it in and paint it to the floors.

Old 03-09-11, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
IMO cutting thin slices of wood works best. Cut the wood, apply a little bit of caulk in the void and then slice the wood in place. You'll also need to caulk where the 2 pieces of wood meet but it might be better to wait until the caulk holding the slice of wood in place dries.

That said, I've successfully caulked many gaps like those pictured. It helps to have a wet rag/sponge and putty knife handy to help you make a neat caulk job. Wood filler or bondo will also work but IMO that method involves too much work

Old 03-10-11, 04:34 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
As beat up as that moulding is I would have removed it and replaced it, and saved the wood filler for the stair skirts which would be hard to replace.
I used Burmans Water Putty, easy to mix, hardens fast and sands just like wood.

Old 03-11-11, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Joe, I assume you mean Durham's Rock Hard Putty - I've never found it easy to sand
...... or is this a different product?

Old 03-14-11, 05:51 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Yes it's Dunhams I use not Burmans. We use it all the time when working on older houses were someone tryed to relocate door hindges long ago and have never had trouble sanding it to a nice smooth finish.
Reguler wood putty tends to just fall out.

Old 03-14-11, 05:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The rock hard putty is some good stuff - I just don't like sanding it, maybe you have more elbow grease than me

Years ago we use to cut a paint stir stick to replace the routed out door hinge and then use painter's putty around the edges. The stir sticks used to be the same width and thickness as a door hinge - I don't know if they still are.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: