Painting finished wall panels

Old 03-29-11, 03:28 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting finished wall panels

I am short a couple wall panels for a remodel project. The supplier no longer makes the style I need (paintable 3/16" beadboard panels). The best available match is a finished wall panel (DPI Whitehall 3/16" wall panel, #142). | Decorative Panels International
The product would be an exact match if it was just primed and ready to paint. The manufacturer (DPI) says that these panels cannot be painted because paint won't adhere to the finish.

I want to use these panels since the style is a perfect match but they will need to be painted. Has anyone tried priming "finished" panels similar to these? My first thought was a good primer should stick, but I've never tried (trying to avoid wasting time/money buying a sheet just to test....).
Thanks!

Old 03-30-11, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I'm not sure why they say that panel is not paintable but since they claim all the panels are made with the same type hardboard, I would assume it's just the finish. A light scuff sanding followed by a pigmented shellac primer [like zinnser's BIN] should work ok. A latex primer might not adhere well but BIN will stick to almost anything. You can top coat with your choice of paint.

Old 03-30-11, 06:43 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
...so maybe a light scuff with 120 grit paper? I was going to use latex paint for the walls. I'm assuming a latex paint is fine over zinnser BIN, correct? Thanks for the feedback!

Old 03-30-11, 07:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
120-150 grit will work fine and yes you can use latex paint over the BIN primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: