Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Hanging basement door with cinder block walls

Old 04-21-11, 10:47 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The frame around the bottom of my basement door has rotted away because of periodic flooding at the bottom of the basement stairs. Now the bottom hinge for the door has nothing to hold it.

Should I just cut away about half of the jamb on both sides and replace it? Or should I just replace the entire frame?
It's 1 and 1/2 inches thick, 5 1/2 inches wide and has a dado on the inside edge that is 1/2 inch deep.
I can take the wood to a local woodworking shop to have them cut the dado for me.

What other materials are needed? Should I fill in the big gaps under the frame with some concrete?

I guess masonry nails will be needed to secure the frame.
Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-11, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Do your door hinges attach directly to these 2x6's or is there a 1x6 frame that sits inside this for the hinges? You may want to post a couple of pictures (not close ups please) of the door open and closed and of the framing where the hinges sit and the threshold. That way we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: