What to do with ucky panelling

Old 01-13-01, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I have a very large outdoorsy type room with cathedral ceilings. One wall shows an extremely large stone fireplace with black mortar along with the rest of that particular wall having roman red bricks with black mortar. My cathedral ceilings and top portions of the livingroom walls are done in an old blonde {white} panelling with large black wooden beams, and the remainder of the three walls have a dark gray panelling. All of the panelling is smooth, not the real wood type. I am afraid that the panelling will look tacky if painted, but have never seen it done. The walls are in perfect shape, but this panelling is on my last nerve. It would seem senseless to me to remove it, and I don't think there is any type of base or drywall behind the panelling. The panelling is VERY thick { I took off an electrical outlet to look} If painted, would a darker color look better? {also, I have very light grey berber carpeting and was afraid drywall would make the carpet look dingy} This room measures 22 X 25. PLEASE HELP, I am a single person who doesn't have a clue about remodelling!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-01, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Paint the Paneling

Dear Miz Autumn,
I've had a few experiences with this sort of situation what with the several older homes I've owned & repaired. When money, time or convenience are factors, painting the paneling can be an excellent option. I'm always surprised at the results and how good it can look. The outcome depends somewhat on the look you're going for, and the current finish (surface) of the existing paneling. I am not an interior designer, but it sound's like you have enough dark features in the room with the beams & fireplace wall. You might try a very light grey...almost white, (or a color which will work with the carpeting). The painted paneling that I've seen turns out to look very much like painted wood siding...which can look very attractive in an "out-doorsey" type of room. However, if the current paneling is the inexpensive look-a-like type with a "paper-like" shiny finish, it my not be advisable to paint. Be sure to wash down the surface of the paneling with water & house hold detergent to remove any dirt/grease etc. Don't get the paneling too wet. Dry it off as you go. Prime the paneling first with a stain killing oil base primer. Then finish with one or two coats of latex egg-shell finish wall paint. (Eggshell is the gloss-level of the paint's finish (just enough gloss to be washable but not shiny...eggshell is not the color). If you haven't done much remodeling, then removing & replacing the paneling can get expensive in time money, or hiring outside help.
Hope this helps and good luck
Whitedog

Old 01-15-01, 03:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

We filled the paneling crevices with dry wall compound to flatten the surface. Not much, if any, sanding is needed. Then we covered it with wallpaper. Not just any paper. Its the thick stuff that looks like sculpted paper. Then painted the wall paper. This room has wood beams and dark mantlel brick fireplace. This new look is great, very professional looking. Instead of a dark room, it it light and bright. You would never know there is paneling behind it.!

Old 01-17-01, 07:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Miz Autumn

Mark's idea of the wallpaper over the paneling sounds like an excellent option!

Old 01-17-01, 04:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi whitedog,

One good turn deserves another! Since the original poster has not replied, and probably will not reply, I will now take the time to say this. I read your post, ...

"The painted paneling that I've seen turns out to look very much like painted wood siding...which can look very attractive in an "out-doorsey" type of room. However, if the current paneling is the inexpensive look-a-like type with a "paper-like" shiny finish, it my not be advisable to paint."

I zeroed on your observations and believe it to be insightful and I shall try to remember that point. You have but a few posts, and I have read them all and you sound very keen and wise. Yours is a name I will remember, along with a dozen or more others here in the forum.

Thanks for the compliment! (But I will not be outdone, and have given you an even bigger compliment, hahaha )

Old 01-18-01, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink Miz Autumn

Mark,
You are truely the master of the last word and an absolute HOOT! I surrender! Thanks my friend, and see ya' around the forum.
Whitedog

Old 01-18-01, 03:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink icky panelling

I did reply, and thanks to you all. I think I have the cheap stuff, and it's a shame in such a beautiful home. If you guys wanna fight for the last word, you are more than welcome to do it over a friendly meeting of "Hey let's fix her livingroom walls because we are cool people" <giggle> I am reading all the posts and taking everything into consideration, just still bewildered on what to do next. Again, thanks for your time on the posts, much appreciated

Old 02-07-01, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Paneling Coverup

I, too am going the drywall compound over paneling route and so far it is going great. I plan to use a wall paper primer for slick surface to be sure to get some "tack" and have nice heavy wall paper picked out. I'm not using the REALLY thick stuff and won't paint mine...but am using a fairly expensive heavy textured paper and I think it will be fine. It has some color to it already. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm also splurging and hiring a drywaller to hand new ceiling on the 60's glue up celing tiles!

By the way, I've heard there's another option, which I chose not to use. And that is to put up wallpaper liner horizontally under the final wallpaper. I didn't want to have to 1)pay for all that liner 2) paste it all by hand and 3)hang 3 rooms twice!

Old 02-17-01, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

I just have to say thanks and giggle a bit at all of you. I just posted a drywall compound cover-up question on another thread. Thanks do much for this option. I have dark brown, mobile-home looking, fake wood panelling. Literally, something out of Jeff Foxworthy "You know you're a redneck if...". Bleck! We're going to install wainscotting up to the chair rail and then do this joint-compound wallpaper thing. Thanks! Quick question: Should we do joint compound after wainscotting or before?

Old 02-18-01, 06:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Drywall over Paneling UPDATE~~

I posted earlier about putting drywall over paneling...am still working on the project and wanted to let you know what I've learned.

1) You may have to put a coat of Kilz over the drywall before the primer. I saw that pigment from the paneling stain started to seep through and was afraid that it would get into my new paper job!

2) Be REALLY careful about getting the cracks filled thoroughly...the drywall compound tends to shink as it dries and pulls into the cracks. I painted a Kilz coat and a coat of a special wallpaper primer over it and thought the paper I had would cover the small indentations where the drywall compound had shrunk in the crakcs...as the paper is pretty thick (but not the super thick fresco stuff) ....

I had a RUDE AWAKENING about an hour after I put the paper up. It shrunk into what little wasn't filled in the cracks. I should add that I had the cracks filled by a professional drywaller who was replacing my ceilings. He did a good job...but I should have told him to go over the cracks TWICE. I had to call him and ask him to come back.

So now I've got a few rolls of wasted paper to pull down and a half a day's work down the drain. So the moral of the story is:

Put the compound on in 2 layers and don't assume the paper will hide much unless you use the REALLY heavy fresco type stuff!!