Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

material/method for closing interior staircase.

Old 01-15-12, 06:17 AM

I'm building a house about 1300sqft, one floor with loft and vaulted ceiling on a full basement. What I want to do at the present, without having to do extra work later, is close up the staircase leading to the loft so that I can effectively capture or hold the heat in the basement since there is no insulation installed in the house and there is a ridge vent the length of the roof. Can I put beadboard directly on the studs on the interior of the stairwell from the floor up or does it need something behind it. We are not going to be using drywall in the house. Should I put up plywood or partical board and then beadboard over that? We've gotten where we are without too many snafoos and are approaching mechanical inspection but would like to address this issue next. Thanks for any help anyone can offer in regards to the entire project. We may put in some half wall drywall just to be able to inject a little color but that's all, we want wood to be the primary deal. It's a stick built house based on a log home plan. I'll look forward to your replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-12, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What size/type of bead board do you intend to use? Bead board paneling would need a backer but the 3/8" plywood bead board panels are fine with studs on 16" centers. Same is true of the actual bead board panels - 1/4" might not have enough support on it's own but the 3/4" would be plenty stout enough.

Old 01-16-12, 08:03 AM
Group Moderator
If you're building the house, why are you not installing insulation?