baseboard help

Old 04-05-12, 08:30 PM
baseboard help

First time reaching out for advice.............scary stuff.

I recently took on remodeling my bathroom. Linoleum was ripped up in favor of tile which went down a lot easier than I thought. The trouble comes as I'm trying to install baseboard. I went custom and added a pre-cut designer trim to the bottom of a plain pine baseboard. Glued, nailed, filled, stained and poly'ed. Long story short................the tile is not 100% level (oooops). I have a high spot on each of the two long walls creating a 3/8-1/2" gap at either end of the baseboard. Is there a method that will allow me to mate the base with the floor without completely sacrificing the whole baseboard?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-12, 09:48 PM
Group Moderator
Sure, scribe the baseboard to the floor by holding it level, then trace the floor pattern onto the baseboard, and cut it with a jigsaw. Fine tune it with a belt sander or grinder and flap disk until it fits perfectly.

Old 04-05-12, 10:34 PM
If you could turn the baseboard upside down, putting the trim you added at the top without it looking strange then you could do as XSleeper says. But if you can't or don't like that look then you will have to re-do your baseboards in 2 pieces so you can trim to fit and still have your designer trim look good. It might be flexible enough to not need trimmed or maybe just slightly.

Old 04-06-12, 02:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Brant and Ben, both. You will need to remove the bottom trim in either case. Do the scribing and cutting, then replace the bottom trim. It will be flexible enough to bend downward to cover any remaining boogers.