Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is it possible to plaster over paneling?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-18-01, 07:24 PM   #1  
I would like to do an old world finish over painted paneling. Is it possible; and if so, how do I prep the wall to make the plaster adhere? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-20-01, 05:10 PM   #2  
J974
You cannot plaster over paneling!You would need metal lath for a base.I would drywall over the paneling and hire a tapper to finish the walls with your desired finish.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-22-01, 07:39 AM   #3  
painting over paneling

Thank you for responding. I would have hated to have wasted the time and effort and made a mess. I have another question: I saw a project on a home improvement program where they took chicken wire and stapled it to a piece of wood furniture and used a plaster like substance (fixall?) and used it to give a stone like appearance. If I stapled chicken wire securely to the paneling, would that give me the base the plaster could adhere to? Should I just forget this project and be happy with painted paneling?

Visiting Guest

01-22-01, 02:52 PM   #4  
J974
I don't think that would help. Metal lath must be of the proper type and weight for the support. Metal lath is designed to grab on to the plaster, you would have to see a piece of it to understand what I mean. If you were to put chicken wire up it might crumble off over time. The holding power would not be there.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-24-01, 07:16 AM   #5  
plastering over paneling

Thank you for your input and advice. I guess I can be happy with painted paneling as opposed to a horrific mess I would have to undo....You saved me a lot of trouble!

Search this Thread