painting paneling


Old 01-20-01, 08:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

i need to know what preparations i have to make to paint over paneling in my sun room.....??
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 08:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
A light sanding with about 220 grit sandpaper and wiping it down with deglosser (liquid sandpaper works, I prefer Sherwin Williams Deglosser). A good coat of oil-based primer, lightly sand the primer and paint. If you have bleed-through from the panneling (brown color tinting the primer) you will want to re-prime with a stain-killing primer like "Kilz". I have not had good luck with the latex-based "Kilz", but no matter what type you use, the product is appropriately named. Make sure you have PLENTY of ventillation as the solvent content is VERY high. If you have access to a respirator, that would be good also.

Good luck
Old 01-23-01, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
painting over paneling

Dangerous, I wanted to thank you very much for your response I do have small children and your advise saved me a lot of headace and possible getting my family sick...I think I better just pull the paneling off and just put up dry wall....once again thanks
Old 01-23-01, 07:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
ana, don't give up just yet! The priming and painting isn't nearly as dangerous as it sounds. Even if you put up drywall, it will still need to be primed in the spots that have "mud" on them. (The substance used to fill in the cracks between seams and to fill the nail/screw holes.) Kilz is just one brand of sealant. You can go to any good paint store and buy a primer/sealer combo. There will always be the issue of needing to vent fumes, but this will be the case whether you decide to drywall or just seal and paint the paneling.
As far as deglosser.... as long as you sand any glossy finish so that it is dull, you don't need to use this product. I have tried the "liquid sandpaper" products and found them to be quite ineffective. There is no replacement for good old elbow grease.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 02-01-01, 09:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Along with painting, what do you do about the irregular surface of the panel ie the slight grooves. Is there any way to level these out?
Old 02-04-01, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
filling in spaces

You can use spackle or drywall compound to fill in all those spaces if you desire a smooth seamless surface. It depends on what you want the finished surface to look like and the activity level of the room.

Leaving the grooves gives it a rustic/informal look and you don't really have to worry about the little ones banging into the walls. Filling them gives it a more finished/formal look but the filler may come loose with lots of activity.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes