Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

stairwell completion

KS

10-08-12, 02:11 PM   #1  
stairwell completion

We recently added a sunroom to our home including an unfinished basement with an open stairway leading down to it. I was surprised/disappointed that the contractor did not finish, in some way, the concrete wall beside the stairs since it can be seen from the sunroom. Perhaps it was indeed a miscommunication but I need suggestions on finishing it. The contractor suggested painting the concrete wall but I feel that will not fit with the remainder of the room which is white beadboard and sheetrock. I would prefer to add beadboard to the wall but need to know if that is workable and the proper procedure. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

10-08-12, 03:09 PM   #2  
I see this is your first post, so welcome!

I can see how that would be a miscommunication. The definition of an unfinished basement is that it isn't finished! heh heh

Your concrete wall will be cold in the winter, yes? It's not insulated, yes? Is the basement heated? I would assume not. So I would say that unless you want to stud it out and insulate it, that you should look at another option.

I was in Menards the other day and they have a product called Flexcoat / Tuff II. It's a premixed, ready to use acrylic coating that can be brushed and/or rolled onto a concrete or cement block wall. It comes in various colors and textures. If you Google it you can probably find more info on it.

I'd say that would be the easiest and least expensive option for you at this point, that would not involve insulating or installing additional materials in your otherwise unfinished basement.

Search this Thread