Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Base Molding

12-29-12, 09:41 AM   #1  
Base Molding

I will be putting up base molding in a bedroom and the walls have a outside corner that is bull nosed. I am looking for the technique used to cut the molding around such a corner. Any information is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-29-12, 11:26 AM   #2  
Depends on whether you have stained or painted baseboard. But what I have done is cut an isosceles trapezoid wedge that cuts the corner. 22.5 degree angles. If the radius on the corner is large, you go with 2 smaller isosceles trapezoids adjusting the angles to best suit your finished results. If it is not a stained baseboard installation, caulk the gaps and paint.

The other option, if it will work, is to end the baseboard run directly at the start of the radius. Make and outside 45 degree cut as if you were turning a corner. Cut the opposite outside 45 degree and cut it off flush to the wall. Then begin your baseboard with the opposite on the adjoining wall. This would leave the radius area without any baseboard treatment throughout the arc.

Group Moderator

NE

12-29-12, 07:04 PM   #3  
I make a 45 transition piece as czizzi first mentioned. With the bullnose used around here, the transition piece is usually about 7/8" wide on the back side (short point) cut at a 22.5 on each side as he mentioned. It meets up with the base on each side, which is also mitered at 22.5 on each side. Four 22.5's make a 90 corner.

Alternatively, they do make square bullnose transition pieces for square baseboard corners, but every drywall finisher I know hates to install them. IMO they are more work than they are worth.

01-05-13, 03:28 PM   #4  
Thanks a lot,,,, I will try the 22.5 degree cut

Search this Thread