Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Wainscoting for a Dining room with a Continuing wall

Old 01-04-13, 01:04 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm looking do put in wainscoting in my dining room. I like the look of the wall frame type of wainscoting and painting it all white, however I'm running into the issue with one wall. The entrance into the dining room is a wall that continues with the front door and then goes on into the living room. How can I end the wainscoting on that wall without it looking like an unfinished job??

Old 01-04-13, 01:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 867 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

A pic or two would help us better understand what you are working with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It might look best to run the wainscoting the entire length of the wall. If not, you should be able to take your chair rail [or maybe other molding] and turn it down at the end of the room.

Old 01-04-13, 05:25 PM
M
Here's a picture, if that's not a good view I can attach more. It would end right where the window frame is. (also hope the upload work, I did it from my phone)
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/at...1&d=1357348872

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-13, 11:10 PM
S
I'd probably run the wainscoting down to the door and end it into the door casing. If you don't like that idea, then Mark's idea of finishing the chair rail (or cap) into the wall is probably your best bet.

Old 01-05-13, 05:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,957 Upvotes on 1,755 Posts
Since you have a wall at the staircase, I think that visually, you could get away with ending the wainscoting opposite that wall. Hopefully the size of the final panel would be similar in size to the other large panels on that wall, so that it didn't look like a half-panel- drastically different than the others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: