Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Trim around window that has tile installed halfway up recess?

Old 03-26-13, 09:41 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and am looking for some advice on what to do with the window in my bathroom.

Right now, the entire bathroom is tiled about halfway up, and when it gets to window, the tile continues into the window recess. I removed the previous owner's valance and would like to add an inner roman shade instead, however, the window looks very unfinished so I was thinking about adding some trim around it.

Is this common practice to do or will it look weird since the trim will stop where the tile starts? I attached a couple pictures if that explanation sounded confusing (which I'm sure it did). It's not in my budget right now to remove/replace tile, so I'm trying to work with it as much as possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Dylan

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-13, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Dylan!

One solution would be to remove the tile from the window return and if possible enough on each side for the casing. For something easier, would using 1/4" [maybe 3/8"] plywood on the return and then whatever molding looks right above the tile work?

Old 03-26-13, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
You definitely would not put trim above the tile only. It would need to extend all the way down to the marble sill, which would mean removing tile, then cutting and reinstalling it after the trim is up, as marksr is suggesting.

I think it looks just fine the way it is. Once your shade is up it will look even better. A small box valance wouldn't look bad. Maybe you could somehow match that band of tile around the top.

Old 03-26-13, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with X on this. Leave the tile in place, install a roll down shade or Venetian blinds. Then add a decorative corner detail at the upper corners and do a nice swag of linen or silk that drapes down over the tile but maintains what you have. Would look fantastic...

Old 03-27-13, 03:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like their ideas better than mine

Old 03-27-13, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dylan, third opinions are often not needed, but I have to agree with the others.....leave it alone. You are going to get into a lot of work that could be directed elsewhere and probably not accomplish all you want. The window looks just fine, and your shade will help cover any boogers that you perceive.