Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Question Regarding Filling Nail Holes In Pre-Finished Trim

Question Regarding Filling Nail Holes In Pre-Finished Trim

Old 03-28-13, 09:49 AM
Question Question Regarding Filling Nail Holes In Pre-Finished Trim

Hello Everyone. I'm remodeling my first home and just about finished with the family room remodel. My wife and I decided on casing, base and crown moulding for the room. However, my question for everyone is how I should fill the nail holes and paint over them afterwards. I selected the mdf pre-finished moulding from a home improvement store since the mdf has some flexibility (to allow for some uneven walls). After I've got them nailed in, how should I go about filling in the nail holes and then painting these pre-finished gloss white pieces?

The satin white paint is not sticking to these pre-finished boards so I'm not sure what to do to cover the nail holes and seems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-13, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Nick!

Not sure why your paint won't adhere but I've never worked with prepainted MDF. I think all MDF comes preprimed and it paints great. Anyway, if you go to the section of the store that sells colored putty, you should be able to find a jar of white putty - that's about the best you can do without painting the trim.

Old 03-28-13, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
So you're trying to paint them and it's not sticking or the paint which came on them is coming off?

If the latter, I would go back to the store where you bought them to see what they advise. If the former, I would scuff sand first and then paint again. Only do this on a little bit though at first in case that's not enough. If it isn't, I would scuff sand and then apply an oil based primer and then paint.

Old 03-28-13, 01:05 PM
I tried to paint them with a satin finish white paint and the paint seemed to just bead up on the boards. It reminded me of rain beading up on a freshly waxed car. The satin paint just isn't sticking at all to these pre-finished mdf pieces. I spoke to an associate at the home improvement store in the paint department. He said a satin paint will not stick to a gloss finish. He basically told me "you can't go down a sheen with coats of paint." He said my options were to sand every piece or put a coat of primer on them.

The problem I have is that they're already nailed to the walls. Is my only option to CAREFULLY prime them while on the walls?

Old 03-28-13, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Just to be sure...are they MDF or plastic? I too have never seen gloss pre-painted MDF moldings (and I sold the stuff for 5 yrs). Primed yes...but not gloss paint. The plastic stuff does have a gloss finish and needs to be scuffed if they will be painted.

Where did you buy? Could you link to the product or provide a brand?

You could carefully scuff them using a fine sanding sponge and see if the paint adheres then.

Old 03-28-13, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
I agree with what you were told, scuff sand and primer would be what I'd do. Bummer, this is going to be a lot more work than you thought it would

Old 03-28-13, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no reason a satin enamel won't adhere to gloss enamel that has been sanded! I've done it more than a few times and never had any issues. You'd only need a primer if you were covering an oil base enamel with latex enamel.

Vic makes a good point - is it plastic trim? From your description it sounds like the trim has either a wax or oil film on it - no paint/primer will adhere well until that is removed. Clarification as to just what product you have would be nice.

Old 03-28-13, 04:49 PM
Gunguy45, I can absolutely provide a link.

This is the item I purchased in both 8 and 12' lengths from Menards.
11/16" x 3-1/4" x 8 ft. Prefinished White Crown Moulding 51 at Menards

They also sell this same material in casing and baseboards, which is what I purchased. So at this point my options are to either lightly sand everything after it is installed on the walls before painting with some satin paint, OR remove the boards from the walls to sand and paint.

Great...

Last edited by Gunguy45; 03-28-13 at 05:24 PM. Reason: To make link easily available.
Old 03-28-13, 07:18 PM
The description says MDF but it looks like plastic in the image.

Old 03-28-13, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I agree that it definitely looks like plastic but I assure you that it's MDF. It's actually MDF wrapped in some kind of film that is painted.

Old 03-29-13, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The product description says prefinished white but the MSDS links says a SWP flat latex primer

I'd guess that the MDF is wrapped in some kind of plastic or vinyl coating. You might try wiping a piece of scrap with a liquid deglosser and see if that will harm the coating. If it doesn't it should make it paintable. Getting some white colored putty may be your best option.