Paslode Cordless Finish Nailer

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-13, 07:59 AM
Paslode Cordless Finish Nailer

Anyone have a Paslode 16 gauge cordless finish nailer that doesn't fire or fires intermittently? I bought a refurbished on online a couple years ago and haven't gotten much use out of it. It never worked like it should have. From day one, it would fire intermittently. I took it apart and fiddled with the electronic spark unit (black enclosed circuit) and it started working more consistently, but when I pulled it out to use it the other day, it won't fire at all. The fan works, I have a spark (I can see and hear it), and the gas cartridges I have are full (although they have a use by date of Oct. 2010). I can hear and see the gas so they appear to be ok. The only other thing I can think of is that I have a compression problem with the piston chamber. There are two o-rings around the top part that holds the fan and spark plug and they are greased up pretty well, which I'm assuming is normal. However, the actual piston chamber is not very well lubed if at all. Should I lubricate this chamber so that the piston can move up and down more freely? Will this help with compression by sealing around the piston? I'm not sure where else to look. Like I said, I have spark and gas but the gun will not fire.

I just read the cleaning instructions and I'm going to clean and re-lubricate the piston, chamber, head, etc. and see if that helps. It says to use Paslode cleaner and lubricant, but I'm hoping I can use something I already have, such as carburetor cleaner and light oil. I have no clue if this will solve my problem but it's worth a try, needs to be cleaned anyhow.

Last edited by mossman; 03-31-13 at 08:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-13, 09:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Remember you are firing a gun, and like a gun you must thoroughly clean it after use or it will foul out, either at the spark or gummed piston, etc. I would probably not use carb cleaner, as it can eat into the rubber. If you don't want to use Paslode stuff, break out your gun cleaning kit and use the Outers cleaner. Basically you are removing residue similar to what gunpowder leaves.

Old 03-31-13, 09:52 AM
So do you think cleaning and lubing the piston chamber will restore combustion? Another thing I noticed is that the two rings on the piston head each have about a 1/8" gap in them. Is this normal? How can I get combustion if it isn't air tight?

Name:  SDC10435.jpg
Views: 32462
Size:  34.0 KB

Old 03-31-13, 10:06 AM
I would try to spin one of the rings opposite the one below or above it. The gap is normal, but with them so close together, you could be losing some compression on blow by. Having the gaps offset at 180 degrees minimizes air loss since it happens so quickly. Even your car has 3 stacked rings similar to this on each piston with the gaps, but offset.

Old 03-31-13, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Using anything other than Paslode's cleaner and oil is just asking for problems. Those tools can be finicky to begin with, and in my experience, anytime you have sporadic firing, it's usually due to the cylinder being gummed up. The gas cartridges don't work right when they get low or old... and as you already noted, they have an expiration date.

IMO you need to degrease the piston and driver and clean the cylinder, driver, piston & fan. Youtube video says it all. Cleaning & Maintaining Paslode Cordless Finish Nailers - YouTube

Old 03-31-13, 05:37 PM
Having the gaps offset at 180 degrees minimizes air loss since it happens so quickly.
I actually tried that already (offset them by 180 degrees). I spun them around just for snapping the photo. I will go ahead and play it safe and pick up some Paslode cleaner and oil. Didn't realize HD carries it. My intention is to get the gun in working order then put it up for sale because I've already replaced it with a battery powered Dewalt.

Regarding the fuel cells, I thought I was using a good one because I could hear it and smell it, but I tried a fresh cell and it sprayed a much more powerful mist, so I'm sure that's part of my problem too. Gonna get this thing all cleaned up and lubed and put it up for sale.

Last edited by chandler; 04-01-13 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Removed offer to sell. Against forum policy.
Old 04-04-13, 05:04 AM
Cordless Nailer

Make sure the battery is charged. Load plenty of nails. The nailer has a safety feature that stops it before the nail chamber is empty to prevent damage to the nailer.

Old 04-04-13, 09:47 AM
This thread is nearly past its expiration date but I'll post this for posterity (and Google searches).

Treat the expiration date on a Paslode cartridge the same as you would a carton of milk. If it's past--replace it. They do weaken a LOT with age. A new ctg in an old gun may make it fire as new without any other repair or service needed.

You can grab some killer deals on "bad" used guns knowing this

Old 04-06-13, 09:07 PM
I cleaned the crap out of the gun. Took apart the firing chamber, which is a step further than what is in the manual. There are two more o-rings that needed cleaning and lubricating. It is now firing more frequently but still intermittent. The fuel cell has a date of Oct. 2010 so my next step is to buy some new fuel cells and hopefully that will do the trick.

Old 04-06-13, 11:10 PM
Good luck with it, and thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 04-07-13, 04:06 AM
This thread is nearly past its expiration date
It's only been going for 6 days! I think we can keep it active for a few more years.

Old 04-08-13, 01:36 PM
Bought a new fuel cell. Fires every time now!

Old 04-08-13, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent! Good thread for people who need help in the future.

Old 03-25-14, 03:57 PM
its the fuel cell. the propellant inside the fuel weakens over time. once you buy a new cell and compare it to the old cell you will notice more fuel coming out and they will smell different. the old cell will smell sweeter. also make sure you get the yellow cells for the finishing nailers

Old 06-18-14, 01:25 PM
hi doe any one here know how to replace the fan on a im350 paslode gun thanks

Old 06-18-14, 02:39 PM
Question has its own thread. Let's stick with that one, OK?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...ml#post2286052

Old 05-09-15, 06:08 PM
Paslode Finish Nailer Firing & High Altitude

Living at 7,000 ft the gun has performed well with the high altitude valves. Paslode in introducing their new fuel cells has made no provision for high altitude valves that work with the new cells. Found a 1/4" piece of 1/8" heat shrink tubing inserted into the stem adapter (pt#900697) of the gun reduces the amount of fuel to permit a proper air/fuel ratio. Gun fires dependably with this little modification using the new fuel cells. If your gun has problems firing be sure that the exhaust baffle isn't clogged. Like your car if the catalyst or muffler is clogged the engine isn't going to run.

Old 05-10-15, 03:55 AM
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully after a year they have gotten their machinery operating. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-18-15, 08:13 AM
its the photoswitch on the trigger..
remove the handle housing, see if your trigger plastic has been eroded and not depressing the photoswitch behind it.

Old 09-18-15, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the additional information.

We're going to send this to our searchable archives where it will always be available for reference. If this thread doesn't help your problem.... please feel free to start a new one.

Closed Thread