Covering Problem Paneling

Old 02-08-01, 11:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to paint the den of our 1955 house. It is an L-shaped room and unfortunately, instead of drywall, it is done all in wood paneling - 3 types! Two of the walls have both brick (top) and ridged (bottom) paneling, and are covered with vinyl wallpaper over a heavy paper covering. Two other walls are half wallpaper/half ridged paneling (exposed), with a chair rail 3' high. Last there is one full wall of just exposed ridged paneling, with a chair rail 2 1/2' high. I work full time and have an 18 mo. daughter who loves to "help". It has been a nightmare trying to find a cheap and easy way to paint this room. My husband likes the look of the paneling (whatever!), but I want to make things as uniform as possible. After brainstorming, here is my plan of attack: I will remove all wallpaper, exposing heavy paper backing. I will replace/apply additional heavy paper backing on remaining walls level out the paneling, as well as make them all the same chair rail height. If it is cost effective, I thought of adding wainscoting panel on the remaining walls, but I really doubt it - too expensive & too much trouble. The paper backing is paintable...YEPEEE! I am open to ANY suggestions. Please let me know what you would do. Thank you!!

Old 02-09-01, 03:38 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd rip everything off the walls and put up wainscott.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: