Chair rail

Old 05-09-13, 06:13 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chair rail

Hello everyone. Long time 'lurker', I signed up because I need some help. I just bought my first house and am getting ready to install some chair rail. The problem is, one wall in my living room runs down the hallway also. I only want the chair rail in the living room, and am unsure how to end it. I took some pictures so you can better understand what I mean.

Also, the living room colors will be brownish under the rail, tan above. Looking for color suggestions for hallway. Note: all wood trim will be painted.

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-13, 07:25 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thanks for including the end run picture for us to consider. It may help some to see more of a panoramic that includes the rest of the room as well. Add the blue tape to guide us. On the surface, and what you have provided. I see the logical spot the stop is the closet (or bath) in the hall beyond the fridge. However, you will also have a series of start and stops at the archways.

Are you planning on taking the wainscot around the openings and into the kitchen as well?

Old 05-09-13, 07:37 PM
D
Thank you

Thanks for the reply. Ill get some more pics tomorrow morning. As of right now, we are just planning on doing the living room. I thought the logical point would be the closet door too, but since it is beyond the entrance to the hallway, I wasn't sure. You can't really tell by the picture, but the door is 7 inches recessed into the hall.

Would going from two tones in the living room to one color in the hall look silly?

Old 05-09-13, 09:29 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The 2 places I see to end the chair rail are as Czizzi mentioned: at the arched doorway, or at the closet.
Regarding paint colors, IMO the wall in the hallway should continue in the same color as the "tan" that you are planning for above the chair rail. Otherwise, I'm not sure how/where the color transition would occur. If you wanted another color, I have seen hallways that have one color on one side, and a complementing color on the opposite side. Obviously, all of these decisions are a matter of personal taste/opinion/esthetics.
Good luck with your project!

Old 05-10-13, 02:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
One additional item. You have rounded corner returns, so do you plan on returning any of this, or just stopping at each opening with a short body return? Wrapping the rounded sheetrock return requires quite a few more intricate cuts of the molding is the reason I am asking.

Old 05-10-13, 08:26 AM
D
Return

Thanks for the advice on the color. That was the only thing I could think of as well (keep the hallway the tan color)

We are going to put a return at every edge. I wouldn't mind rounding the bullnose, but I don't think I've built up the skill set yet to do that.

Thank you so much for the replies. I will post more pictures here shortly

Last edited by Dfowler03; 05-10-13 at 08:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: