Paint Brick Paneling in Fireplace?

Old 06-03-13, 09:05 PM
Paint Brick Paneling in Fireplace?

We recently purchased a new home and have taken on quite a few DIY challenges in the process. I desperately want to redo the fireplace but I don't have the first clue on how to get started. We've already decided that we aren't going to burn anything in it and I have purchased a candelabra to go inside of it for decoration; however, it's completely lost in the darkness of the fireplace.

Any suggestions on how to revamp the entire fireplace? We've also considered repainting/revamping the mantel as well, but have no idea where/how to get started. I've scrubbed the inside of the fireplace but thats about it so far! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

**I have attached photos below!!**

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-13, 03:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Kristin!

You can paint the brick inside the fireplace. It won't hold up to fires but as long as you use latex paint it won't be a big deal if the fireplace is put back into service. Do you know what type of material the mantel is made of?

Old 06-04-13, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would use a "High Heat" paint such as available for gas grills. It is a place to start anyway. Looks like this comes in several colors. Even though black is normal for grills, I have purchased it in beige to spruce up some wall space heater covers that were showing some age.

RustOleum.com

Old 06-04-13, 07:09 AM
The mantel is made of some type of stone or cement, not 100% sure

Old 06-04-13, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Concrete is paintable but stone doesn't paint well. I was thinking it was stone or tile.

Old 06-04-13, 08:23 PM
That isn't "brick paneling" inside your fireplace, it's fire brick. Well-used fire brick, at that. Muriatic acid might remove more of the soot, but it looks kinds neat as it is,