Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page >

Plastic baseboard/shoe molding, what's it called?

Old 09-08-13, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My spare bath is undergoing some DIY therapy right now, and while originally I wasn't planning to mess with it, the pinkish-brown plastic (or maybe it's rubber?) molding stuff around the floor is just going to bug me with the new paint/hardware. Especially since two sections of it have come off the walls completely. Unfortunately, I know nothing about it except that it's usually found in schools and other buildings using concrete block construction (which makes sense, this is a bathroom with a concrete wall).

So here's what I need to know:
  1. What's it called?
  2. Where can I find it cheapest?
  3. Is it easy to install?
  4. Are there any special tricks when removing the old stuff (do I need some sort of special adhesive remover, etc.)?
  5. What sort of prep work needs to be done before putting the new stuff up?

I have my doubts that it would take paint very well, and since it's falling off anyway....

Old 09-08-13, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You are mentioning base and shoe molding. How about the door molding? Is it in reasonably good shape? If so, then all you need to do is replace the base. Do you have a tile or linoleum flooring in the bath? I know it won't be an immediate answer, but you may want to post a couple of pictures so we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-08-13, 05:26 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to Install Rubber Baseboard Molding | eHow
Any real flooring store should have it.

Old 09-08-13, 05:32 PM
The door trim is wood that's in great shape, but floor trim (I thought it was called either baseboard or shoe molding, but I might be mistaken) is some sort of plastic or rubber, and it's not in great shape. It's (supposed to be) attached to the wall, but covers whatever gap there may be between wall and the linoleum floor.

I have a couple of pics of this particular bathroom in this thread, and in the first pic is the floor trim that I'm talking about.

Old 09-08-13, 05:41 PM
Actually you should be using cove molding, since it covers the wall as well as bends over the floor . Inside and outside corners are boogers, but you can do it. Same article as Joe mentioned, just a different section: How to Install Rubber-Based Cove Molding | eHow

Old 10-06-13, 08:43 AM
The installer that did it before cut a piece for each section of the wall, and had joints that were basically seamless--you'd never have known it wasn't one continuous piece. If this is the better way, what's the trick to cutting pretty miters like that?

Old 10-06-13, 12:10 PM
Got pictures?......................

Old 10-06-13, 03:32 PM
I have a few of the whole room from "before" so that I could show some "after", but none that would really show that up close. And because space was limited (and I try to keep the work area somewhat clean) I threw away the pieces already.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: