sanding wood paneling?

Old 02-19-01, 05:51 PM
dvdbrown
Visiting Guest
We have just bought a house that has what looks to be expensive wood paneling (tongue and groove paneling?) in the family room. However, it is heavily marred. We are trying to determine whether to sand and refinish, or cover with drywall and wallpaper. Our decision will be based on the difficulty, the expense, and the practicality of sanding.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-01, 09:42 AM
Visiting Guest
If you have the quality stuff, I would consider trying to save it, but I wonder how deep the imperfections go. Our laminate-type panelling has been heavily scratched by a small annoying dog. Mine is definitely not worth saving. The good thing about mine is that the dog was small and did its damage below the waist, so I plan to install wainscotting up to chair rail height. I'm still considering what to do with the rest of it. Good luck!

HomeBody2000

Old 02-22-01, 10:47 AM
dvdbrown
Visiting Guest
HomeBody2000,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how deep the marrs are. We are going to do the final walkthrough on the new house this weekend, and we will definitely see if it worth saving. Hopefully it is. It is really beautiful paneling, but I'm really afraid the scratches are deep. It looks like furniture and other heavy things have been banged into the wood. Thanks again for the reply.

dvdbrown

Old 02-22-01, 12:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Perhaps a wood filler would work? I believe there's a wood puddy-type thing for scratches and dings. Check out Home Depot!

HomeBody2000

Old 02-27-01, 03:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I just went to the Home Depot today and the paint guy gave me info on how to cover over the grooves and hide marrs. BEHR makes a Texture-paint product to do this. The steps are 1. Wash waslls with TSP then rinse. 2. Prime the walls with BEHR #75 primer in the purple can. 3. Apply BEHR texture paint. There's three types; smooth, sand and acoustic (popcorn). I don't know if you want to paint this expensive paneling, but I thought I'd share what I learned anyway.

HomeBody2000