Panel Molding for Ceiling

Old 10-01-13, 11:45 AM
Panel Molding for Ceiling

On Houzz.com and when I google for "panel molding ceiling", I see a lot of nice designs on the ceilings, and I want some for my house. I just started researching to see where I can buy the materials so I can order and do it myself. But the problem is there are several types of panel molding products, and I'm not sure which I should use, which is better, the advantages/disadvantages of each type, etc. And obviously, they differ by price range too.

There are ones that are flexible (not sure what they are made of) and ones that are not flexible (polyurethane). Which is better? Which is easier to work with? What kind of "glue" would I need to use on each type? Any reputable vendors I should buy these from? These are some of the questions I would like to get answers from the community for, and any suggestions are highly welcomed! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-13, 01:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

A little more info would be helpful. Are you referring to panels for a drop ceiling? or are you wanting to take trim molding and build designs or boxes on your drywall ceiling?

Old 10-01-13, 01:30 PM
The polyurethane foam core stuff is light and easy to work, it paints better too. You won't need flexible on a flat ceiling. Pretty much any light duty construction adhesive like Liquid Nails will work but you will need to use countersunk drywall screws and probably some plastic anchors if you have drywall to hold it in place til the glue sets. The countersunk holes and joints are filled with spackling compound.

Old 10-01-13, 02:19 PM
marksr - Thanks! I'm looking to do the latter, since I don't have coffered/dropped ceilings.

toolmon - Great tips! Thanks.

Old 10-01-13, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How high are your ceilings? Beefy woodwork works great when you have a big room with a tall ceiling. It would be better to use smaller molding when working with a shorter ceiling.

Old 10-02-13, 10:19 PM
my ceiling are only 9ft, thus, the smaller trim approach