Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Paneling and Trim
Reload this Page > Installing 3/6" x 4' x 8' Deep Bead panel. What to do with the baseboard???

Installing 3/6" x 4' x 8' Deep Bead panel. What to do with the baseboard???

Old 11-10-13, 07:36 AM
Installing 3/6" x 4' x 8' Deep Bead panel. What to do with the baseboard???

The person I'm installing this for wants the 3/16" deep bead panel on the walls, but would like 7/16" x 3 1/4" MDF Colonial base to go with it.

I done beadboard a few times, but have always used a larger baseboard so that the panel sits on top of it. With a base this small, I don't think I have a choice... The panel must go to the floor and the baseboard must be put in over top of the beadboard, right? Is there another option? Is it completely wrong to put the the baseboard over the beadboard?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-13, 07:54 AM
Group Moderator
You could also add a 1/4" strip or solid wood to the back of the baseboard to build it out... and in that way you could install the baseboard first and then set the paneling on top.

But adding the baseboard on top is also an option. You wouldn't have to worry about any gaps where the paneling meets the baseboard that way. Either way, you will probably want to caulk the top edge and wipe it with a wet rag prior to painting it.

Old 11-10-13, 08:10 AM
Maybe setting the baseboard on top is the way to go.. I also have to install a chair rail that isn't a cap. The best way to go might be to put up the chair rail, install the bead board to fit right up to the chair rail.. then I can put the baseboard right on top of the bead board. If there are cutting errors, any mistakes can just be hidden under the baseboard.

Old 11-10-13, 08:13 AM
Group Moderator
If the chair rail is thick enough, you can cut a rabbet (notch) in it with a table saw to fit over the panels, and install it last too. If it's not thick enough, add a 1/4" strip to the back (top half) to create a notch, and install it last.

Old 11-10-13, 08:25 AM
Doesn't look like it's thick enough for that.. but I'll take another look at it when I get there and see if it's an option. That's for the idea.

The guy I'm doing this for also bought window and door casing that's 5/8" thick.. so sitting the baseboard over top of the bead board should be just about perfect.

Old 11-10-13, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
should be just about perfect.
If not, and the baseboard protrudes past the casing by 1/8" or so, just chamfer that 1/8" corner that protrudes at a 45.

Old 11-10-13, 08:59 AM
Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Search this Thread