sagging floor joist

Old 02-26-01, 08:32 PM
vtkokomo
Visiting Guest
A 14' 2X10 joist in a first floor ceiling sags about 1" causing a bulge in the ceiling and a depression in the floor of the room above. To repair it, I plan to remove some of the ceiling sheetrock and make several crosscuts in the joist. The number of cuts will depend on my ability to jack up the joist. Should the cuts go more than halfway thru the joist? Once the joist is straightened out, is it overkill to bolt on a steel plate (fitch?) or sufficient to nail/bolt on a 12' 2X10? Due to the geometry involved, I don't think it would be possible to replace the sagging joist. I'd be unable to get a new joist in position even after removing the crown molding.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-01, 09:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Either the steel plate or a sister joist will work.

Before you start hacking the the sagging culprit. Find out what actually caused the sag. My guess is that it is either broken or it has a very large knot that has shrunk over time. Or maybe both.

Old 11-23-01, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile redecorating 2 year old daughters room

Hi, i am looking for ideas to redecorate a 2 year old girls room, i want to do it cheap, but at teh same time nice, and feminie, are there any ideas, i would also love to see pics, if possible. There is a new baby coming and taking over he room, so i want it to be special.

Search this Thread