Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Finishing Door Frame Trim

TX

01-05-14, 09:51 PM   #1  
Finishing Door Frame Trim

Hey there,
I'm looking for the best way to finish this trim project. My first thought was to fill this with rod and caulk. Is it a bad idea to mud and sand after that?

Name:  IMG_7007.jpg
Views: 8969
Size:  27.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-06-14, 04:19 AM   #2  
I'd just use regular siliconized acrylic latex caulk. It would have been better to use caulking where the top of the side casing meets the head piece. Fillers tend to crack over time

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

01-06-14, 05:32 AM   #3  
I would have been better to glue and nail a piece of wood onto the jamb before the casing was installed to at least make that gap as small as possible. And I agree... back off on using the filler. ESPECIALLY if you plan on staining that wood. You'll really be sorry when you go to stain and the wood doesn't want to take stain everywhere the filler was applied.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

01-06-14, 05:35 AM   #4  
That jamb really should have been cleaned up to get all those paint flaws fixed before adding the casing.
If this was my job I would have replaced the whole jamb and ripped it to the proper width and not have to deal with all the prep work
I also would have used my Craig Tool to attach those two pieces at the top together before installing so there would be no gap.

TX

01-06-14, 07:43 AM   #5  
Hmm...You'll have to forgive me. I'm brand new to the remodeling game. This photo is a couple of weeks old, and the filler between the boards has been sanded out as much as possible to make way for caulk. I considered leaving the frame off, replacing the jamb, and finishing out the wall, since it's just a walkway without a door, but I was told the walls were an odd size. Just felt a little leery of messing with them.
Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread