Extending the hearth

Old 01-10-14, 02:16 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Extending the hearth

We need to extend our hearth by a couple of inches to meet code for a fireplace insert - we currently have a sandstone hearth with wood floors surrounding it - the sandstone piece sticks up about 2" from the floor.

My initial thought is to apply 1/2" cement board over the wood flooring and then I found some glass mosaic tiles that I think would work - that are 3/16"in height, - so estimating a 3/4" height off the floor with mortar - so could do one row of tile all the way around to square off into the floor (tiles are 3/4"x3/4") and possibly do 2 rows of tiles around on the sandstone depending on how it looks - although the sandstone is rough cut so it's not a smooth surface to tile on the sides.

Also house was built in 1930 in case that's relevant

Is this realistic or completely off base?

Any recommendations?

Old 01-11-14, 03:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Adding a border is my thought also but I'm not a tile guy [they should be along later] I've never heard of anyone using glass tile on a floor so I'm not sure if that will work. A pic or two of your hearth/fireplace might be beneficial - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-11-14, 04:17 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Trying to picture how a small band of glass would look around a stone hearth. Going to be a challenge to make it look "natural" and not a patch. You also have to think about how you are going to finish off the front of the border so that it looks dimensional and not an afterthought. Hardwood planks are also not a preferred substrate for any tile installation as they are subject to substantial seasonal movement. Is there not a way to push the insert back the 1 1/2" to meet code? Or stilt the insert to meet code? Doesn't sound like you have much to make up distance wise.

Old 01-13-14, 06:45 AM
N
Attached is a pic of the fireplace before we removed the carpet

Attached Images  
Old 01-13-14, 08:32 AM
N
Also was looking at this as an option - would you think that they made a form in the shape and then tiled it?
Glazed Tiled Fireplace Fenders | Twentieth Century Fireplaces

Old 01-13-14, 04:19 PM
Is the sandstone sitting on top of the hardwood? I don't think anything thicker than 2" would be put down, so I hope it floats over it.

Old 01-14-14, 11:42 AM
N
No - the sandstone hearth is properly supported, the wood floor starts beyond it.

Old 01-14-14, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I really think a current picture of the hearth and hardwood would give us so much more of an idea as to what you want to do. Showing what it looked like before hardwood, and the pix not concentrated on the hearth makes it difficult to visualize.

Old 01-17-14, 06:49 AM
N
More pics attached - just showing the hearth / side, etc

Attached Images   
Old 01-17-14, 03:01 PM
While not necessarily an optimal solution, but one that may allow you to pass code, is to paint a flame retardant coating on the wood floor. Attached is a link to a product that is added to latex paint and can be mixed to any color so you can blend it into the wood flooring. Applying it to just the picture frame wood course that butts up against the hearth will give you the inch and a half you need.

Fire Resistant Paint | Fireproof Paint | FlameStop.com?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: