Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing T&G Solid Wood Paneling with Drywall

stikstikly's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

06-28-14, 06:57 PM   #1  
Replacing T&G Solid Wood Paneling with Drywall

I currently have solid tongue and groove wood paneling in my living room that I'd like to remove and replace with drywall in order to update the look of house. I've peeled back some of the trim to see what I'm dealing with. The problem is that the wood that I'm removing is 7/8" thick. The max size drywall I've seen around here is 5/8". This leaves me with a pretty sizable gap between the future drywall and the current trim/moulding/baseboards/ceiling beams. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

This picture shows the trim removed from one of the doors and the t&g wood to be removed beneath:
Name:  panel2.jpg
Views: 2509
Size:  22.3 KB

Sponsored Links
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 19,314

06-28-14, 07:40 PM   #2  
You could always rip 3/8" plywood into strips then use it as furring to shim the framing out for 1/2" drywall. Use a staple gun to attach the furring.

marksr's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 42,803

06-29-14, 03:13 AM   #3  
Like X, I'd either shim out the studs and to 1/2" drywall work or if I didn't have the time to spend on that - laminate the walls with 1/4" drywall and recut the trim to fit.

btw - welcome to the forums!

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

stikstikly's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12

06-29-14, 01:20 PM   #4  
Perfect! Thanks to you both.

Search this Thread